1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

boiling transfer case

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by sandbagger, Apr 19, 2008.

1. sandbagger

sandbagger New Member

i have a 99 silverado with electric shift transfer case. when i drive on hiway for aways the transfer case heats up. has anyone had this problem ?oil level is goodand its in 2 wheel drive.is front diff staying locked causing clutch pack to heat up?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Do you have any signs showing the front diff is engaged? Front tires chirping when turning or a ratcheting feeling in the steering wheel?
    How hot is the T-case getting? They do generate some heat in two wheel drive.
    The fluid is at the right level but how worn out is it? Worn out fluids will not dissapate heat as well, or lubricate as well to keep the friction down.
    After you get the issue of the front diff engaged or not you might want to try changing the T-case fluid, try a Synthetic fluid, I use Red Line Synthetic fluid in all my T-cases it's a little expensive but does a good job of lubricating and lowering the temps.
    On my Rock Crawler the average temp is running 30 deg. lower since using Red line in the T-case. (this truck stays in 4wd all the time since its not street registered and is trailered to the trail head).