Bolt grease?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by PantheraUncia, Dec 18, 2016.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I am trying to figure out that type of grease is used for the long bolts like on brake calipers or your alternator ( the super long bolts with threads on the end) I see it used in the videos for the bolts, but have no idea what it is called.

I think it is clear, and different from the black grease for the ball joints, etc.

2. kennythewelder

kennythewelder Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Dielectric silicone grease, is what is used on electrical connections. Brake grease is what is used on brake parts, bolts included, but never sease is a bolt grease that is used on most all other bolts. Dielectric silicone grease is clear.

3. kennythewelder

Oh none of the greases I mentioned, is the black, grease you talked about, and there are many other greases, including, food grade grease. aquamarine grease ( blue- or green) and white lithium grease, and I am sure there are a few others I am leaving out.

4. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I didn't know there was a category just for brakes. I've always used disc brake rated wheel bearing grease for lightly lubing the back-plates, shoes and adjusters for drum brakes after my first experience with disc brakes.

The first time I lubed the front wheel bearings on my Blazer in 76 I grabbed my can of wheel bearing grease. A day later I bought a can of the disc brake rated grease. The regular grease got so thin it was oozing out the hub caps. (No not wheel covers the caps on the end of the hub's.) The disc rated stuff is very high temperature grease. When you think about it it makes sense. Drum brake wheel bearings run cooler because they are cooled by the drum. With discs the wheel bearings are heated by the disc. Nowhere for the heat to go except for the hub's.

For the caliper slides anti-seize is available in copper, nickel and aluminum. Regular 1600°F high temp to 2400°F. I would use the highest temp I could get. I think the nickel and aluminum have additional corrosion protection.

Ted

5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I regularly use Dielectric silicone grease for electrical applications and spark plug boots, I have only used ani-seize for the spark plug threads that go into the engine block.

So anti-Seize is used for brakes also? I was not aware of the temp. differences in the grease. What I am looking for is a grease to use on the brake parts and caliper slides and then the slides for general bolts like the alternator bolts.

What other places are there that needs a bolt grease of some kind?

6. kennythewelder

Brake grease is what you want to use on any brake parts, that need grease. Brake grease is a high temp grease that will hold up to the high temps that a brake system puts out. I would not use never seaze on exhaust bolts, or any brake system. The copper never seaze is good to 1800 F , but IMO I just would not use it on brake or exhaust system, just about anything else would be fair game. You can get a very small pack of brake grease, and use it just for that. I my 32 years of working on an offshore oil drilling rig, I have seen people that put never seaze on almost everything, and also have seen other who did not bother. The ones who used never seaze, could remove bolts that had been there for some time. Those who did not use it, would have to get me to cut the bolts off with a torch, and maybe heat up the base to remove the remaining stud. Also if you are bolting into aluminum, or even more so stainless, some sore of grease is a must.

thegawd likes this.
  7. kennythewelder

Here is a video that explains the differences.

RayVoy likes this.
  8. kennythewelder

Here is one on high temp grease.

RayVoy likes this.
  9. JimmyA

JimmyA Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Anti-Seize, I think is what you are looking for!

10. squatchy

squatchy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Ive only ever used anti seize on any of that stuff.