Bolt-on parts to increase power

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by sthpaw11, Dec 4, 2012.

1. sthpaw11

sthpaw11 New Member

I have a 97 silverado, looking to get a little more power and efficiency out of the 350. I already have custom dual exhaust, K&N cold air intake, and a so far unnoticed power programmer. Any suggestions or pointers would be nice. The truck is lifted and I get around 12 MPG:oops:, although I know I shouldn't look for mpgs and lift in the same thing, help would be nice! Thanks

2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There are no "bolt-on" modifications that will give you any REAL gain. You can easily spend thousands of dollars on "snake oil" magical power parts and get marginal results at best. Save your money and buy a supercharger.

What size tires are you running? Have you considered re-gearing? That will be the best bang for your buck.

3. sthpaw11

sthpaw11 New Member

well its a daily driver and supercharger is a little out of the price range! ha but im running 35s

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

When ever you increase the diameter of the tires, you change the effective gear ratio, you have made it more difficult for the engine to turn the wheels.

If you go back to factory tires, you will find the missing power.

I know factory tires and lift should not be used in the same sentence, haha; so, as [MENTION=12002]moogvo[/MENTION] suggested a sear set change that recreate the original ratio would be the fix.

5. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Anything to make it breath better such as intake, headers, exhaust will increase horse power. Be aware that any major mods will require you to reprogram the ECM to get the full benefit. I have a cold air intake, American racing headers, Corsa sport exhaust, diablo trinity tuner and a custom tune by diablew tune. I'll tell you what there is a night and day difference over stock... Keep in mind that all this comes at a price.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry one of those days... I see you have already done what I had just suggested. One more thing you can try is upgrading your fuel injectors... I know there is a performance replacement for the 97... We are looking at doing it on my sons... Other than that it would be changing the gears.

6. 1993gmc

1993gmc New Member

Underdrive pulleys woke up my 1993 5.7 look on ebay they have good prices it did much better than my chip.

7. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Like they stated above if you haven't regeared, no bolt on part will give you the gains you seek. Most trucks like yours came with either 3.42s or 3.73s, neither are low enough for 35s. Large tires and to high of gears not only kill performance and mileage, but will also strain the motor and tranny causing premature failure. You should look into at least running 4.10s or preferably 4.56s.

8. 1993gmc

1993gmc New Member

True you need to regear it 4.56 sounds best that's what my friend did and it helped or got it back to stock. When my buddy put small tires did his Burb have some get up so really he was just wanting it to get back to stock but the 35" tires are heavy as well.

9. JTward1

JTward1 Member

What about a 'Throttle Body Spacer' They claim a small bump in HP but even with a anemic 30 LBS in torque, I would think it was worth the $100.00 for a quality throttle body spacer ? I'm planning installing one on my 1990 305 TBI Silverado.

I should mention that I have done a full tune-up Plugs, wires and the so on. I put a K&N cold air intake doing away with the stock air cleaner, And I installed a rebuild and matched set of Thorttle body injectors and they do make the truck feel a little more peppy.

But I was wondering about this TBS as it doesn't claim to give you huge power increase, it does say you might get about 10HP and 30 pounds of tourqe and a slightly better MPG. It says it only turns the intake volume and spins it so as to produce a better mixture

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  10. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I'll second this advice. I have owned cars/trucks for a lot of years, done lots of things to them. Take it from a veteran of the auto world, the only way you get real power increases is by doing internal engine modifications. The spacers, exhaust, intakes, that stuff is like putting lipstick on your truck. Any "gains" in power from these is minimal at best.