1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bone head move of the week. Or how to turn a 5 minute job into 2 hrs........

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Grynder, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Grynder

Grynder Rockstar

So the Buffalo ('03 2500HD 4x4, 8.1L) was low on power steering fluid. I head down to the local parts store and pick up a bottle. Back home, pop the hood, recheck, yep she's low. Open the bottle and as I start pouring into the funnel I read the label...... BRAKE FLUID !

DOH !

OK, spent the next 2 hours flushing out the power steering pump........
    luckily it was less than half a cup and I never started the engine with it in there so it wasnt too difficult to get it flushed and clean.

Anyone have anything dumber ? I think not..........LOL

G.
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well thats not dumb. Thats an honest mistake. You cleared up right away. :great:
  3. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

everyone makes mistakes
  4. bigduramax

bigduramax New Member

MY friend poured ac flush in his brake fluid reservoir. i dont think anyone can beat that. he filled it up and then blead them. then realized what he did
  5. JeffW

JeffW Rockstar

this might be equal, i was changing the oil im my truck switching to synthetic planned on doing it 3k earlier but i got underneath and noticed the oil pan had all kinds of oil on it great a leak.. went to the dealership two days later got my truck back, but that is beside the point.. anyways i pull the plug and then as it is draining i rolled over to talk to my dad, and about 10 seconds later he yells "OH ****!" and takes off running he ran and grabbed a trash can cover, i noticed that there was oil now leaking all over the drive way :( the rock guard which is about 1mm behind the plug was catching about 30% of the oil and it was running off the other side great now gotta clean it all up before the neighbors call the EPA.. this all happened because we put the truck up on one ramp just to get it off the ground some to get underneath comfortably, because 1) my floor jack is leaking oil hardcore and i couldnt get it to pump up enough and 2) the jack that came with the truck is not tall enough to even reach the frame.. :(

should i talk to the dealership to get a jack that acctually works with my truck.
  6. Grynder

Grynder Rockstar

I really dig hearing some of the funny stories gear heads have to tell. I've probably got at least a dozen off the top of my head after 30 yrs of wrenching. A few years back I went to run a couple errands. Forgot something and had to run back home. Pulled into the driveway and parked, ran into the house and when I came back out my Jeep was backed perfectly into the neighbors driveway across the street. Forgot to set the parking brake and left the manual tranny in neutral. So many stories, so little time.......