1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Border Patrol Stop Video

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Curky, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I saw this on Facebook and had to share. What do you think?
    Wrong? Or Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKiYpsQhZsI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I will start.
    If you don't like it, then vote against it. There are other ways to go about what they are doing. Don't give the men and women doing there job a hard time. They did not make the rules but following them. Just say yes and go. I have mix feeling on this.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We don't have those check points here. I guess that the government is not worried about Canadians sneaking in, you know those guys like [MENTION=54249]RayVoy[/MENTION]. :lol:I think up there that Canada is more concerned about our citizens sneaking over to Canada, than we are their citizens sneaking here. I do see border patrol vehicles on the freeway pretty often, bit have never been stopped. Maybe those check points get annoying for those that live near them. I don't know. But, I would just answer yes and be on my way. now if they wanted to search my vehicle for no good reason I would have an issue. Not that I have anything to hide. I just don't like the idea, just like if I got pulled over by a local officer. I am super respectful when I speak to law enforcement. "Yes, Sir. No, Sir" But, if they think that they are going to rummage thru my truck for no reason or without a warrant then I will have an issue. I did get stopped going over the border to Canada one night. They opened my truck door (a sonoma that I literally owned for 48 hours) looked inside, said "this thing is brand new" let the drug dog walk by and let me on my way. I have never had an issue crossing back into the states. I have had some officers be cocky jerks, but I just continue to answer their questions and eventually they let me go home. I have friends that have been jerks to the border officers when returning back to the states. They ripped their trucks apart, I mean foam out of the seats and everything. Then they looked at them and said "we did not find anything, you are free to put your vehicle back together and be on your way".
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  3. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

From my background (lots of CJ classes) I can say almost every time someone challenges an officer, they become suspicious. With that red flag, they have a duty as an officer to find out why. A person can comply with the officer, or they can be an ass and pull this sh**. Just answer the question and be on your way. That is one thing I hate about the field I am trying to go into. Dealing with Mr or Mrs know-it-all and them challenging everything, or being a smartass with a camera who just wants to post sh** on youTube and facebook. Sorry, rant over lol
  4. Guardrail

Guardrail Member

These idiots are as Douchy as the open carry fanatics looking for a confrontation. I despise them both, especially if I'm behind them in line.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

And know there rights They are Swarn in and have the rights to Take every bolt and NUT off of your car to search for what ever they like to Protect the US.. If you wave that` and act like the Idiots in that video Then can do what they have to.. I would not` mouth off to a boarder patrol Ever...
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

100% agree!
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I think the US/Canadian border is pretty open. We cross back and forth many, many, times a year. Usually the US side want to know where we're going, how long and are we leaving anything in the US. Coming back, the Canadian side wants to know the value of goods purchased (so they can collect the imposed Fed Sales Tax).

I've had the Canadian guys ask to look in the trunk/rear of truck, to make sure we gave the right info re purchases. And I always have the US side look in the back of the truck.

Oh, I forgot, the Canadian side always wants to know about firearms. Funny thing, I need a permit to purchase ammo in Canada (yes, I have one), but I can bring it across the border without needing the permit (the permit is needed to purchase, not to carry).
  8. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

ahem, I open carry religiously. Not because I am looking for confrontation, but due to the fact I cannot conceal my handgun's nor can I afford a smaller one.

I'm not a douche about it though.
  9. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

I'm torn here. Do citizens have rights, sure we do. Why give BP a hassle like that. They are just doing their job. Kinda scary that if anyone resists like that they ultimately let them pass. It is just a simple yes or no question and you are on your way.
  10. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You don't really think BP would just say "Oh, sorry sir, you go right ahead"? In Canada, that would be grounds for a search of the vehicle, and I'm pretty sure, your guys would be even more aggressive.