1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Borg Warner HD clutches

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by bluestreak94, Jun 18, 2010.

1. bluestreak94

bluestreak94 Rockstar

Hello all, I've got a 2004 Suburban with the 4L60E and the 5.3, I've had the truck for three years now, but for the last two my truck has been slipping in between 2nd and 3rd and it's been getting worst steadily. I finally decided it's better to bite the bullet now than to be 1200 miles from home with my travel trailer and be broken down in the middle of nowhere with the whole family in tow.

The tranny guy my mechanic told me to see tells me he's going to have to rebuild it, $1400 installed. I ask him if there's anything that can be done to make it stronger than before, the only thing he tells me is that everything is pretty much the same safe for the clutches which he could install performance ones by borg warner rated for up to 600 hp for $200 more. He tells me if your not racing or hauling with your truck often, that I wouldn't have a problem with the regular clutches.

Here's the thing, isn't it better to have the borg warner clutches installed anyways since I'm doing the rebuild anyways? They should last longer and be better for me when I'm hauling my TT even though I only pull it once a year for about 2500 miles right?

Thanks for any input :)
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It is a coin toss. If the $200 doesn't strain your budget and you plan on keeping the ride, I'd go for it. How many miles did you get out of the original trans?
  3. bluestreak94

bluestreak94 Rockstar

I've got 150k kilometers ( 93k miles ) on the original trans. If I wasn't hauling my trailer 2500 miles for my vacation, I might have let it fry completely, because it's still driveable, but I figured better to repair it before I get stuck on the interstate with the whole family. Do you think it's a good price? $1600 with a year or 20k kms warranty?