Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Bose mp3 jack

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by TALL HD, Apr 2, 2010.

1. TALL HD

TALL HD Rockstar

Well i have looked for this answer but can't find it..so here it goes. i have a 2003 silverado with the Bose. I was wondering if there was anyway to add an iPod/mp3/aux jack to the system?

2. GMClone

GMClone Rockstar

I've got an '05 with the Bose system, and as far as I can tell there is not an easy/cheap way to hook up a line-in. I've been thinking of something like this, which looks like it plugs into the factory wiring harness behind the head unit. I think it would work, and although it's not cheap, it's not extremely expensive either. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm planning to.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=310

Note: The exact product linked above may not be the correct one for your vehicle! Use it as a starting point to that site only! :)

3. TALL HD

TALL HD Rockstar

ok..let me know how that works out. itll be about three months before i pull the trigger on it..

4. anven

anven Member

Hey - as an installer I can tell you - Bose will make any aftermarket audio mod a nightmare. I would suggest an in-line FM modulator. You can get an aux in through the FM without worrying about looking for clear stations. Quality is OK. Not as good as going iPod digital to a new pioneer head unit desinged for it, but way better than a standard FM modulator or tape adapter.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ffByhxKa43n/p_142FMMOD01/Scosche-FM-MOD01-Modulator.html

Just something else to consider.

Ultimately there is no substitute for ripping out the factory radio and bose amp and replacing with an Alpine or Pioneer with native iPod controls and interface then adding a 4 channel JL or similar AMP to run those nice bose speakers :)

5. TALL HD

TALL HD Rockstar

ok..since i have no clue about audio parts (i do know how to hook things up though). i have a few questions...how many watts is the bose amp or would it run 2 12" kicker comp subs? if not what size/brand amp would you recommend? i dont have enough funds for a whole new head unit..because im putting a lot towards the motor. and is it possible to seperately control the subs and the radio..like turning subwoofer bass up, but without turning up radio volume? thanks..

6. anven

anven Member

I do not think a factory bose amp will drive your subs. Its designed to drive speakers (although component speakers with slighlty more power than the factory head unit).

To drive your subs you want a decent mono amplifier. I always thought JL was one of the better ones, but it really comes down to how much you want to spend (and how much power you want). When shopping around for one, look at what power they are rated (i.e. 250 watt at 2 ohms) Then make sure your subs are wired accordingly (two 4 ohm subs should be wired in parallel giving 2 ohm at the amp, while two 2-ohm subs should be wired in series giving 4ohm at the amp).

Lastly, there are 2 types of audio outputs from the head unit - line level and pre-amp level. Line level is designed to drive a speaker, while pre-amp level is usually an RCA plug thats designed to go to an amp. Depending on head unit you may or may not have pre-amp outputs, and you will need an amp that will take line-level inputs.

And your last question - yes, there are various audio processors that will allow you to control sub volume independently. an example http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_161EPIC160/AudioControl-EPIC-160.html?tp=9631

This is too expensive but should give you an idea of possibilities.

I know my technical explanation is not up to par, so please ask specific questions and I'll be more than happy to answer (if i can)

7. TALL HD

TALL HD Rockstar

8. anven

anven Member

This amp is rated 400 Watt at 2 ohm. If you want dual subs, you want two, 4-ohm subs wired in parallel. speaker impedance does not necessarily matter, but it needs to be matched to the output of the amp. Not to get into physics of it - in order to mazimize power output, the load (speaker) impedance should equal amplifier's internal impedance.

9. ChevyAvalanche9813

ChevyAvalanche9813 New Member

04 chevy avalanche

Hey there, there is an ipod adapter that you can buy that hooks straight into your factory bose head unit. It is four clips and fits right behind the unit in the dash and comes with a 6ft. Cord to plug your ipod/iphone straight into and it reads on your touch screen and works on the steering wheel buttons and the screen buttons. It also reads the song name and all on your screen so you never have to look at the ipod/iphone and can concentrate on the road.

10. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Can you give us a link to get there, or at least some more information? That would be helpful.