1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bought new dump trailer, bent a standard receiver

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by RidinFool, Sep 7, 2011.

1. RidinFool

RidinFool New Member

I have a 2011 chevy HD2500 with the 2 1/2 hitch, but i have to use the 2" adaptor the give you from the factory.. it's a 12000 LBS trailer weighs roughly 3500 empty. i was using a standard 2 inch receiver to pull it until last night when the trailer sunk in the ground and had to use the tractor to pull the truck and trailer out and i ended up bending the receiver. so now i am on the hunt to buy something a little heavier. I was wondering should i try and find a 2 1/2 receiver or would it be okay to go to TSC and buy a 2" one, but one that is rate for 12000 LBS. They have the forged receivers for 55 bucks and they are rated at 12000. I have heard that some people have been having troubles with using that adaptor for the hitch and that if you are going to be doing heavy hauling to buy a 2 1/2 receiver. I don't use the trailer everyday, nor will i be pulling a heavy load all the time either. Just wanted some opinions. i also have a weight distrubting hitch that we had on an enclosed car hauler and wondered if using that hitch with out the bars would be better. Thanks for the help.. I need to buy a new reciever tonight so i can get the trailer back to the barn which is about 20 miles away.