Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

bouncing oil guage

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by attaboy, Oct 3, 2011.

1. attaboy

attaboy Member

I've got a 99 K1500 w/5.3 w/120,000 miles. The oil pressure guage needle bounces around while the truck is ideling but stops once I get going and stays steady at around 60 psi until I stop and idel again. Should this be something to be concerned about?
    Thanks

2. Zzyzx

Zzyzx Member

I don't remember if you can verify oil pressure via ODBII on a '99, or if it's even going to give a different reading than what's being sent to the gauge. First step is to see if it's really fluctuating or just a problem with the gauge though. At any rate, I would definitely be concerned about a bouncing gauge. You wouldn't happen to be low on 710 fluid, would you? I could possibly see that if the oil was splashing around at idle...

3. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

Try hooking up a mechanical gauge to see if you get the same reading. Chances are, though, that you've got a bad oil pressure switch/dirty contacts on the plug, or possibly a bad stepper motor in your gauge.

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

x2....on the problem is with either Sending Unit or Connection and/or problem with the Stepper Motor.

5. attaboy

attaboy Member

Thanks guys.
    The sending unit is nearly impossible to get to to put a mech. gauge on it. Is there any other location that I might try to do that?
    If it's the stepper motor; is that located withing the oil gauge?
    Thanks

6. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The stepper motor is located on the back of your instrument panel. Those model years have problems with going out. Mine did. You can buy new stepper motors on eBay and solder them in pretty easily.

7. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As mentioned by ntBush83.....the stepper motor's located on the backside of the Dash Cluster.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013