1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Bouncing Speedo

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by jroc, Jun 20, 2012.

1. jroc

jroc New Member

While driving today the speedo in my 92 k1500 w/5.7 started bouncing at first was bouncing between 60 and 80 then started bouncing between 0 and 80 not sure what the deal is with it can someone help before I go bald from frustration...

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Try lubing the speedo cable.
    I would use graphite to lube it with, dry lube works best with these type cables.
    You'll probably have to remove the cable at the back of the cluster and shoot graphite into the cable housing.
    Sometimes you can get away with shooting graphite into the cable at the other end at the transmission connector and the graphite will work it's way up the cable, but this isnt a guarantee.
    If you do attempt to lube it from the transmission end check the speedo gear while you have it disconnected for any nicks or chewed teeth.

3. jroc

jroc New Member

Looked at the tail shaft it has an electrical plug didn't find a cable. The speedo is acting like a tach

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I thought 92 was still a cable drive, hmmmmmm.
    Might be the transducer then, unless you have a bad connection.

5. jroc

jroc New Member

not sure I unplugged the connector at the tail shaft the needle dropped. When I plugged it back in the needle started bouncing again. Really dont want to take it in for this have a road trip coming up and need the truck in working order and safe...

6. jroc

jroc New Member

not sure I unplugged the connector at the tail shaft the needle dropped. When I plugged it back in the needle started bouncing again. Really dont want to take it in for this have a road trip coming up and need the truck in working order and safe...

7. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

It's probably just a bad speed sensor/dirty connector then.

8. jroc

jroc New Member

cleaned the connection on both the sensor and the harness still bounces....

9. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

10. jroc

jroc New Member

Its close but the speedo does not react to the turn signal. The speedo starts bouncing as soon as the truck is started and put in gear. This morning truck didnt want to start fuel pump turns on but no fuel at the injectors recently installed new fuel filter.