1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bouncy Drivers side tire

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jmccarrell, May 27, 2010.

1. jmccarrell

jmccarrell New Member

Hey all! Haven't been on in a while but I have a question. When I am driving my lifted 1999 Suburban on the highway at about 70 plus mph my front drivers side tire starts to bounce a lot. It's almost scary sometimes. I have had all 4 tires balanced recently thinking that might work but it didn't When I bought my beast the prior owner said she'd been sitting for about a year because his wifey ran it out of water. Could there possible be a flat spot on the tire causing this or maybe a bent wheel? If anybody has any ideas as to what may be causing this please let me know, it's very annoying.
  2. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

A bent wheel should show up when they get balanced, lifted how much? Shocks to short. A flat spot in your tire, take the tire off and roll it and check it out. Bars to tight?? Worn out suspension??Could be a bad tire if its been sitting..
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Pretty much what he said.....
  4. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Put the "bad" tire on another corner of the truck and see if the problem follows, if not it's in the suspension, if it does it's the wheel/tire.
  5. rustyk2

rustyk2 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Also check for broken belts in the tire.
  6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I agree with adampaul1964. Switch the tire and see if it stays with the tire or side. but a bouncing tire a lot of times can be shock, as the purpuse of the shock is to downward pressure on the suspension keeping the tire down. usually when I have seen that symptom it has been a blown shock. One way to check is to remove lower shock bolt and see if the shock extends quickly. Now if it does they arent the easiest to compress but not really that hard either. If it doest extend or does so very slowly the shock needs to be replaced. Might be easier to check shock before switching sides with the tire.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Really? Never heard that before....
  8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

may not have been the best way to put it but thats the way I've always had it explained. meant to keep the tire in contact with the road, while also dampening obviously. More to illustrate that when they go bad the tire will start to bounce. Obviously they do multiple functions and more detailed than that of my previous explanation
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  9. jmccarrell

jmccarrell New Member

Shocks are new so I'm certain that's not the problem here. I believe it's a 3" lift but not too sure being I bought it like that. I will try some of the other suggestions and see what happens. I know I'm due for some new tires anyways but I still need to make sure that they're the cause of my bouncy tire problem.
  10. DTACA Burban

DTACA Burban Member

I agree with Adam as well. I had the same problem on a Caravan I used to own. Wheel would bounce like crazy after hitting 70 mph or more. However tire would balance out on a machine. Swap the tire and see if hop goes with it. If it does its tire or wheel. My guess would be the wheel. If the belts in the tire have broke you should see a bulge or even an indentation in the sidewall. Dont forget to look on the inside of the tire as well.