1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brake bleeding after caliper change

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MrShorty, Oct 4, 2008.

1. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm going to need to do the front brakes here soon, and was going to change the calipers while I'm at it (calipers are cheap, and I think it's a good idea after 120k miles). Obviously I will have to bleed the calipers afterwards. Can I bleed the calipers in the usual fashion without having to worry about a scanner for bleeding the ABS unit? If I do it right, I shouldn't get any air into the ABS system, so I'm hoping I won't have to take it into someone to have it bled after I'm done.
  2. mehoff400

mehoff400 Rockstar 100 Posts

if you haven't had any problems with your calipers i think you might be just wasting your time unless your upgrading them
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I agree, if you arent having problems I wouldnt change them. Most honest mechanics will tell you the same thing.
    I would flush the brake system. This is done exactly like bleeding only you bleed until theres clean new fluid coming out at each fitting. Takes a lot of fluid but you'd be surprised at the change in the braking system afterwards.
  4. zippy

zippy Rockstar 100 Posts

I've changed front calipers (and the hoses) without bleeding the ABS; but, remember to plug the lines while the system is open. I thought the rule of thumb was that you needn't worry about the ABS unless you change the master cylinder. I agree with tbsplus10, get the big can of brake fluid and refresh the entire system.
  5. 92burbanator

92burbanator New Member

I wouldnt change the calipers unless they are sticking or you have some other problem with them. my suburban has the original calipers with over 240,000 miles on them (and lots of towing in her younger years). they still work perfectly. save your money...you might need it with this economy ;)
  6. zippy

zippy Rockstar 100 Posts

Count your blessings and knock wood.
    Are you really still on your OE piston seals? I do mine every other pad change, about 50K miles.