1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brake caliper bolts?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by blackburb, Jul 10, 2013.

1. blackburb

blackburb New Member 100 Posts

Is this the way they're supposed to be? Is this another example of idiotic GM engineering? No wonder they went bankrupt. My front calipers have hex head bolts but the back ones have torx. WTF?? Of course I have a set of torx sockets that goes up to T50 (too small) and a single T60 I bought years ago for GM brakes (too big) GAAAA:grrrrrr:
  2. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member 100 Posts

You should replace them with regular bolts.
  3. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member 100 Posts

Go to Napa, I know they carry the hex head bolts
  4. blackburb

blackburb New Member 100 Posts

That requires me getting them out which means buying another torx socket. I think I'll wait until the pads need replacing.
  5. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member 100 Posts

Most stores will lone them out or actually let you borrow without cost (depending on what store you go to)
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Most the time if they are hex bolts then they have been replaced before. All the bolts that I have seen from the factory are T-55 Torx for the front and hex for rear calipers (on 1999-2006 models)
    Before someone jumps all over me for posting incorrect info, This is what I have seen on my 2002, 2003, and 2005 GM trucks, not to mention the multiple GM trucks belonging to friends and family that I work on. On my 2005 someone striped out on of the front caliper torx bolt heads. I was able to get one out, loosen the bracket, remove the pads and brake line, and then slide the entire caliper off. I heated the crap out of the bolt just because I wanted to see if I could get it out (knowing that I would probably have to replace the caliper because I was going to melt rubber), I could not get that thing out for the life of me.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  7. bazar01

bazar01 New Member 100 Posts

My 2001 is the other way around. What is going on with GM?
    My front calipers use TORX while the rears use HEX head. :grrrrrr: