Brake Fluid and Power Steering Fluid

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by vms4evr, Sep 27, 2010.

1. vms4evr

vms4evr Rockstar 100 Posts

Don't forget these when doing your 60K service.

I've seen a lot of threads on here that are about what oil to use, and doing engine, front/rear diffs, trans, etc. Don't forget your transfer case with the Autotrac II also.

Now much neglected and forgotten is the the other 2 I started this thread on. Power Steering fluid. Just take a turkey baster or big syringe and suck out all the PS fluid you can. It'll be a nasty black looking. Replace with a good synthetic PS fluid. If you're anal drive the truck for a week until it gets mixed with old and repeat. Good for another 60K.

Now the brake fluid. It's amazing how this is the most neglected fluid in cars/trucks. All the other fluids are to make you go. This one is to make you stop. It really should be on the top of your list. I flushed mine recently and got the tell tale green and moisture laden crap out of the brake lines. Took a quart of good synthetic. Makes it easier if you have a power bleeder to push the stuff out. I've done it on every used car we have bought in the last 5+ years with the same results. Clean fluid, with no moisture, makes better pedal feel. Very cheap insurance.

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 what vms4evr said. Most trucks/cars manuels suggest a brake flush every 40,000 miles. On my trucks I disonnect one of the power steering cooler lines and flush the system. I also use synthetic fluids.