1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brake Fluid and Power Steering Fluid

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by vms4evr, Sep 27, 2010.

1. vms4evr

vms4evr Rockstar 100 Posts

Don't forget these when doing your 60K service.

I've seen a lot of threads on here that are about what oil to use, and doing engine, front/rear diffs, trans, etc. Don't forget your transfer case with the Autotrac II also.

Now much neglected and forgotten is the the other 2 I started this thread on. Power Steering fluid. Just take a turkey baster or big syringe and suck out all the PS fluid you can. It'll be a nasty black looking. Replace with a good synthetic PS fluid. If you're anal drive the truck for a week until it gets mixed with old and repeat. Good for another 60K.

Now the brake fluid. It's amazing how this is the most neglected fluid in cars/trucks. All the other fluids are to make you go. This one is to make you stop. It really should be on the top of your list. I flushed mine recently and got the tell tale green and moisture laden crap out of the brake lines. Took a quart of good synthetic. Makes it easier if you have a power bleeder to push the stuff out. I've done it on every used car we have bought in the last 5+ years with the same results. Clean fluid, with no moisture, makes better pedal feel. Very cheap insurance.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 what vms4evr said. Most trucks/cars manuels suggest a brake flush every 40,000 miles. On my trucks I disonnect one of the power steering cooler lines and flush the system. I also use synthetic fluids.