Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Brake fluid flush.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Nov 12, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

What is the best method to change all the brake fluid.

Me personally I do the following:

Use a turkey baster to remove most of the fluid from the reservoir
    Refill reservoir with fresh fluid
    Open up a bleeder screw and let the fluid drip out until clean
    Refill brake fluid reservoir
    Repeat for each wheel

Sometimes I give the brake pedal a slight pump to get the fluid out quicker.

When I'm done I feel that I have replaced all the brake fluid. I see that there are lots of different devices to help you, but are they really needed?

2. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

I do the same thing.

3. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Back in the shop days I used a pressure pot filled with fluid, a few pounds of air in the bladder, attach cup cover plate, open the fluid valve and start opening the bleeder valves, excellent one person operation for brake fluid replacment, I see today they have modified typical home hand pressure sprayers adding a hose, a cap that fits your cup, I am not sure how good this would work, but it looks cool for one person operation.
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Motive Produc...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CLLj3q-i4LoCFS8S7Aodb2sAkg

4. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

That's how I do mine. I have my son help and pump the pedal and I open each bleeder till fluid runs clear.

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ive found the Motive Power Bleeder to be the cleanest and easiest method to change and flush brake fluid.
    Ive been using one for the past couple years to do semi annual fluid changes on all my vehicles.
    An added benefit of the Motive unit is if you own a I/O powered boat with a few adaptors you can change the engine oil easy and mess free.

6. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

This could be a winter project, a one gallon sprayer, an extra cap, a piece of tubing, a bulk head fitting, with an on/off valve on the front side of the bulk head fitting.

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I go to each bleeder and connect my imitation mighty vac. Then I suck the fluid out until it is clean. I have trun into a few issues doing it this way, 1)the container on my vac is only 4 ounces, so I am emptying it constantly. 2) the master cylinder empties fast, so I have to fill it often 3)not really a fluid change problem, more a bleeding issue, but I have had air such passed the threads of the bleeder so it always looks like you are getting air, but some 90w oil on the threads stops that. In the past I have used the one man bleeder valves available at many parts stores. There is a check valve in them so no air gets back into the system. I just opened a bleeder, pumped the pedal, refilled the master and repeated. I was skeptical about them until I was forced to use one because no one was around to help me bleed my brakes after a caliper change. They do work well.