1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Brake issues (does my truck have abs?) 04' Silverado

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Bowtied, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

Hi guys,

I've been having braking issues where i feel the brake pedal lose what i can only describe as "contact" and it feels as though the wheels(brakes?) are not in my control.

I have never had this issue until getting a recent brake job (replaced rotors and pads front, pads only rear, i think the rear rotors need to be turned or replaced) but the brake pedal has been slipping as described above.

Is this ABS? I wasnt even sure my truck had ABS (and still am not)

How can I find out if my truck does in fact have ABS?

thanks,
    drwmbt

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

you can run your VIN thru this http://www.compnine.com/vid.php it will list all of the options your truck has. Do you here the abs unit turn on when this happens? Sounds like a motor running or a "chatter" noise or a grind noise.

3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

All Chevy models after 1994 have some form of ABS. Abs feels like you have control not losing it. Also it makes you brake very quickly and usually only engages when it senses the truck is losing traction.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Conlan, sometimes when my abs kicks on when going over a bump when stopping, it feels like I have no control. I have had it let me keeping going right into an intersection. Has not happened on this truck yet, because I drive like an old lady. When in snow or mud then I agree with you 100%. But those random times that they kick on are downright scary

5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, maybe I should of stated it as it normally helps :lol:. I have had it kick in when I had to stop at a light that went red way faster than I expected and it kicked in it scared me to death and made the truck vear to the side a bit, but I stopped faster then I ever had before.