1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brake job tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by egreg, May 2, 2010.

1. egreg

egreg New Member

My brakes have been fading recently, and I boiled my brake fluid yesterday when coming to a medium-hard stop. The fluid is black! Tomorrow I am going to replace the front rotors and pads. Also, I am going to flush the brake fluid. I'll probably soak the bolts in PB Blaster tonight so they come out relatively easily.

What kind of brake pads should I go with? I usually shop at AutoZone, but all of the other big parts stores are convenient to me. I do a little bit of everything with this truck including towing, hauling, off roading, and interstate driving. Keep in mind that I'm on a relatively tight budget. What about rotors? Is there an option that is better than OEM style rotors that is comparable in price?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

What year/model truck?

I usually use the mid-grade semi metallic pads. They give a good feel, minimal brake dust on the wheels. Plus, they don't break the bank. You only need to replace the rotors if they are deeply scored, or warped. If the pedal has been doing a dull pulsing, they are warped.
  3. egreg

egreg New Member

It's a 2000 Z71 with disks all around. The rotors definitely need to be replaced.
  4. sc99z71

sc99z71 New Member

Check out www.ebcbrakes.com they are excellent pads and rotors. Also, if you decide to go with EBC then go to www.partstrain.com they always have excellent deals on EBC brakes.
  5. zuper8

zuper8 New Member

I have Duralast CMax pads on all my vehicles, they are very high quality pads for the price. around 50-60 bucks for a set.

and if your budget is tighter than that.... pretty much every autoparts store has comparable lower-end pads.... i've tried em all, they're noisy-dusty but they will stop the truck I guess. brake noise drives me bonkers though.
  6. egreg

egreg New Member

I was leaning toward the Duralast Gold CMax pads, so I'll go with them. I'm holding you to it!

What about rotors? I'm not getting cross-drilled or slotted. Are all OEM-style rotors made equally? Are there any particular brands that people like?
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Buy the best rotors you can get, whichever store you go to.