GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Brake Light Sensor Wires ID

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by ffdsmokeeater, Jun 8, 2013.

1. ffdsmokeeater

ffdsmokeeater New Member

I'm looking for some help identifying the wires of a 2010 Chevy Silverado Brake Light Sensor.

I'm trying to hook up a brake attention module and I need to find the correct brake power wire.

There are 4 wires that come out of the sensor, just not sure which one to splice into.

switch.jpg

Attached Files:

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

I had to look it up. I assume, the 3 wires provide 12v on one and the other two connect the device in series with the light(s).

What's the plan, to just use the center brake light?
  3. ffdsmokeeater

ffdsmokeeater New Member

I suppose that would make sense. From what I could find, there are a total of 4 prongs. 1 is the main power from the battery, the other three go to the lights (right, left, high center).

The plan was to hook the attention moduel in series with the wires going to the brake lights so when I touch the brake, the is a quick pulse then steady burn.

Here's a video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKjT5SLKcXY
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Ok, if you want all 3 (left/right/center), find the lead that has 12v when the pedal is up. Just unplug and test voltage. Cut that wire and place the flasher in series. If you just want the high center, find the wire with the 12v and using a paper clip, connect the 12 volt lead to each of the others until one causes the center to light.

BTW, your assumption that one wire goes to the right side and one goes to the left side may not be correct. one wire is usually to tell the cruse control the brake has been applied.
  5. ffdsmokeeater

ffdsmokeeater New Member

Thanks for the response. That was what I was avoiding having to do because I don't have a voltmeter handy. I was hoping someone on here might know off the top of their head.

Looks like I'll just have to get under there and read the voltages.
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Try a search for 2010 GM wiring. I found a complete set of drawings one time I was looking. The wiring colours should be there.
  7. ffdsmokeeater

ffdsmokeeater New Member

Yeah, I've tried that as well. I usually spend a good ammount of time digging through usless information and don't come up with anything. Probably best I just get under there and check the voltage.
  8. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Haha, good luck, maybe someone has a wiring diagram at home and sees your thread.