1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brake line help

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by pmd73, Dec 11, 2013.

1. pmd73

pmd73 New Member

2002 silverado.Pass side brake line has a hole in it.Really rusted at fittings.Neen tips for getting them off besides what i'm planning.I plan on brushing with wire brush,hit with PB blaster,repeat,then use small pocket torch to heat up.I wonder if standard wrenchs will have enough grab on the rusted fittings.Also off hand , are the fittings metric?
  2. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

if your going to be replacing everything anyway, vice grips, Penetrating lube (assuming thats what PB blaster is) as far as the heat goes, thats a no no. unless you'd like to light yourself on fire. brake fluid is flammable.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

you might want to pick up a set of line wrenches. chances are that you will round them off with regular wrenches
  4. pmd73

pmd73 New Member

I'd heard just a little heat,not after fluid comes out,but may re think that.I worry that even line wrenches will still strip.Guess it's vise grips.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have heated them before. Not a lot of heat. It is flammable. Not like gas though, you can blow it out pretty easily
  6. pmd73

pmd73 New Member

Standard or metric,don't wnat to buy two sets.
  7. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Metric I believe. Don't quote me though.
  8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

with the replacing of these steel lines using a tubing cutter not a saw you cut the line then with a 6 point socket you remove the fitting. then with the what they call double flare GM tool you put flares on the new tubing end and attach the new line. fittings are available , or use the old fitting.

do not use any mineral oils rust buster type products as this will get in the lines and damage the brake components. brake fluid must not get any of these mineral oils in it or the rubber parts will swell and your brakes will fail.

clean all parts with denatured alcohol. I believe that the gm angle is 37 deg to flare the tubing to fit correctly on the braking components caliper/abs etc....

the other angle is 45 deg which is an SAE type. these fittings are easy to get and are used to connect lines together ...
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  9. pmd73

pmd73 New Member

Got under truck and looked at lines.The problem is where the lines go into the block,the pass side line is top middle line.No room for a wrench.The only option I see is cut the line and put a socket on it but with the fitting being so rusted,i'm sure it won't come out easy,and will surely strip,then what do you do.Any suggestions.
  10. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

try to use the socket 6 pt on it . not too much force that you break it.

then if still no go get a small propane torch tip and heat up the fitting slightly so it is hot but not red then quickly place the socket on the fitting and using a constant force as the fitting cools/shrinks it should come out.

it may be best to crimp the line cut end to prevent fluid from coming out if that is an issue.

place flame tip at the fitting only as best you can not too much flame.