1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

brake line leaking fluid

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by JROCK_Z71, Mar 23, 2011.

1. JROCK_Z71

JROCK_Z71 New Member

I am leaking brake fluid in my 2003 silverado. It is coming from the connection between the metal line and the hose going to the caliper. My question is how hard is it to replace the section going to the caliper(which i believe includes the connection piece). Also, should I run a new metal brake line to master cylider? It is a bit rusty. Trying to figure out if this is a job for a mechanic or if I can do it myself... I would like to save myself the $75+/hr if possible.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It's easy. I would buy/borrow flare nut wrenchs so you don't risk stripping anything. A flare nut wrench grabs more of the nut. Spray the area with brake clean to get the dirt from around the fittings. Take your time and be clean. Then just bleed your brakes. This would be a good time to flush your brake lines and add fresh fluid. If you don't have a Haynes manual get one from a parts store. There not the best manual but for the price they get you in the ball park and they have PICTURES. With the ABS brake systems you should flush them every 40,000 miles.
  3. JROCK_Z71

JROCK_Z71 New Member

OK, thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna tackle this project on my own. Was thinking I needed a lot of special tools, but my buddy has the flare tool.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You most likely need flare wrenchs, not a flare tool.