1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brake lines!

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by RAV52202, Mar 23, 2012.

1. RAV52202

RAV52202 New Member

I have a 1996 k 1500. would I gain anything from running larger brake lines? would it help my pedal not be so squishy, or seem to have to push a long ways. hey dont go to the floor by any means. I looks like the lines were replaced and they look really small. any thoughts would be great thank you.
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I had the same issues you've mentioned, regarding the Soft Mushy feel in the brake Pedal when Braking......I then bought a set of Stainless Steel Brake lines, from Russell and I No longer have the soft mushy feel when braking, and less travel in the pedal when braking, I now have a Much Firmer feel in the pedal, I would also mentioned, that if you do go with SS Brake Lines, this would be a very good time to Flush the Brake Fluid.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member

Switching to larger diameter lines would actually make your brakes less effective. Your master cylinder will always move the same amount of fluid, increasing the diameter of the lines will decrease the line pressure, making the pedal even softer. The cheapest and easiest way to firm up your pedal is to do as 99 heartbeat suggested and switch the rubber lines for braided stainless steel replacements. The stainless lines do not expand as much under pressure, which allows that pressure to be sent directly to the calipers and wheel cylinders.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Fozzy

Fozzy New Member

What he said..
  5. Revredneck

Revredneck New Member

If your pedal is soft and travels too far, you need to find out why. First off, check to make sure your rear shoes are properly adjusted. That hardware does wear and is susceptible to rust. Too much shoe to drum travel will cause your problem. Also, check for leaking wheel cylinders while you're there. You may need to replace them (easier, quicker, and cheaper to replace vs rebuild them these days). Naturally, there MAY be air in the lines, but unless you've run it too low of fluid or opened a line somewhere, that isn't likely.
    Good Luck and God Bless
  6. Blazer454

Blazer454 New Member

YES. Couldnt be said any better :great:
  7. RAV52202

RAV52202 New Member

Thanks for all the In put. I will have to do the ss brake line upgrade and go from there. I will also check my shoes and make sure everything is adjusted up.All info is helpful.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you are looking for better performance you could always do the rear disc brake conversion. I have seen prices ranging from $400 to $1,000 for the kits. I have always wanted to do the conversion on my 95, but never have the cash. Stopping those 38.5" tires can get nerve racking at times