1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brake Pad Longevity

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Crawdaddy, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I know brakes should go in the brake section, but I thought this would be a fun riddle... How many miles can you get off a set of factory brake pads on a Saturn Ion?
    The answer, around 160,000 miles.... That's right, 160 THOUSAND miles. :gasp: I just swapped out the original factory pads on my 2005 Ion, and was amazed I got that many miles out of them. Now, they were quite low on pad, I'd say less than 1/8", when the pads started out at around 1/2" thick. I wanted to get a new/old comparison picture, but I was racing sundown, so I didn't have time. A little background on my driving habits...mostly highway miles with daily traffic jams.

As you were..... :party:
  2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

OOOohhhhhh.!!!!....I was JUST gonna say "155,000"!

I get a prize of some sort..?.. :D
  3. JerryDroid

JerryDroid New Member

"I'm going to say 155,001, Bob.."
  4. Crawdaddy

I think I could have probably gotten another 5-10K out of them before I was metal on metal. Suprisingly, the rotor seemed to still be smooth as glass with no lip on the outer edge. I did however notice a transmission seal leak at the CV axle...
  5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I would have said around 140-150K, since that is what i usually get when my commute is mostly highway.... and a leak at the CV axle ugh those are fun to change on some GM models
  6. Crawdaddy

I didn't examine the damage extensively, but the leak didn't look bad. More or less just enough grease around the CV axle to collect dirt and grime. Because of how the transmission is supposedly "sealed for life" and how much of a pain I envision it to be, I'm going to monitor the situation and see what happens...