1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

brake pad suggestions

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by freddie, Mar 23, 2012.

1. freddie

freddie Rockstar 100 Posts

Just wanted to see if anyone had any good suggestion on brake pad. I am going to put some on my 03 Avalanche 1500 4wd.I do some towing but normally nothing to heavy. Also if anyone knows anything about rear parking brake shoes. I have changed pads/rotors before but never parking brake shoe. I am trying to save a little money. Is there a special tool/tools need to change them out or should I just take it to a mechanic to have it done. I have asked my machanic and he said it would be about $135 to do both parking brake. Thanks for any help!
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. hishiad

hishiad New Member

I've bought rotors, front pads, and back pads just recently. Will be putting 'em on next week some time. I went with the Raybestos brand. I've heard good things about them, and they are well priced. I've also heard good things about EBC and Hawks.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Semi-metallics if you tow, since they disperse heat better than ceramics and, thus, are less prone to inducing rotor warpage. I personally prefer Hawks but EBC's are on my go-to list, as well.
  4. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I use Raybestos but Hawk and EBC are both good as well.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Hawks have always had good write ups.. I have them with the SSBC Big brake kit...
  6. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

7. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have also used wagner with no issues. There are no special tools required to do the rear parking brake shoes. The hardest part can be getting the drum/rotor off. Other then that you just need a socket (around 8-10mm) to take off the hold down. Just shop around for them. You can get lifetime warranty at Autozone for around $50, the auto value near me wants $70 for lifetime warranty.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  8. BASSIST

BASSIST Rockstar 100 Posts

I have used both the Wagner ThermoQuiet and the NAPA Safety Stops. Both are Great
  9. AutoAnything

AutoAnything Member 2 Years 100 Posts

10. Legacy Ave

Legacy Ave New Member

Just put Wagners in, like them so far