1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brake power booster difference...

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Bredin, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Bredin

Bredin Rockstar

Hey everyone,

I've got some problems with my brake power booster on my '99 Suburban, I have a '96 truck to take parts from but the part numbers are obviously different, but what is the difference and would the booster from the 96 work, both are vacuumed powered.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The more important question is what weight class are both trucks? In general, the brake booster didn't change too much between years. The difference was in whether it was a 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton and whether it was vacuum assist or hydraulic assist.
  3. Bredin

Bredin Rockstar

Oops, sorry, both are K1500, 5.7L vortex with the same type of brake, jb7 I think it was.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

JB7 seems a little heavy for a half ton truck, but if they both have jb7 brake boosters, the 2 should interchange. The JB6 and JB8 interchange with each other I know, but don't put a lighter duty master cylinder in place of a heavier one.
  5. Bredin

Bredin Rockstar

yup, you're right, JB6's in both trucks. So the booster would interchange, even though if I look at Autozone.com, they are listing two separate part numbers for the application (and a very difference in price for them, '99 is way more... but is still only the booster, not with master cylinder or anything.)

Thanks again.