Brake squeal issue

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by HawaiiKid, Mar 30, 2010.

1. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hey guys,
    I have a 03 Silverado 1500 I picked up a few months ago, and have had this issue since I first test drove it...the brakes squeal like a-well, lets just say they sound bad. The stopping power is fine, and there is no grinding or slipping feel in the pedal. I know there is stuff that I can put on the back of the brake pads to seat them better into the caliper, but is there anything I can do without pulling all four wheels? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jedepsub

jedepsub Rockstar

Did you replace the brakes yet, grinding noise usually means you need new front pads? They have a tab on them to tell you when to replace before you ruin the rotors.

3. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Nah, there is no grinding sound or feeling to the brakes...when I picked up the truck they said they had just replaced the disks and pads, and they put it up on a lift to show me. The parts are new...but the squeaking is still there! Anyone have any ideas?

4. Hey Bruddah, its your Hawaiian connection all the way from Houston, TX. Da best way, brah, is to definatly remove the pads, cuz day kinda not true and might be not too straight yeah! and sometimes you can eeda rough da pot dat meets the rotor with some sand pepa or rough it up little bit on the sidewalk and put dem back. But go ahead and put that spray gel or silicone will work too on the back and wait till they dry up a little brah about 10 minutes or so and reinstall. Works 99.9% of the time.

Leta brah!

Aloha!

5. Yeehawyall

Yeehawyall New Member

i have the same problem with my 02 yukon xl 2500, put all new pads and rotors on and still squealed. come to find out its the cheaper pads that do the most noise. so i took them out threw them on the counter and got a new set of "higher grade" (more money) pads and the noise went away. one thing i found that when you take the pads off and put the old ones on or putting new ones on those metal clips for the pads should be changed. thats where the vibration comes from which causes the squeal. just a little something i found from owning and working on cars as a career