1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brake, Turn signals, and emergency flashers

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by da pope, Apr 12, 2009.

1. da pope

da pope New Member

Hey guys, I'm brand new to this site. Great site!!! My brake lights aren't working nor the turn signals or emergency flashers. But the light on top of the suburban is and the tail lights work. Its a 1998 GMC Suburban 4x4. Looks and runs great. any suggestions
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The first thing I would check would be fuses. All of the items you listed I think share a fuse.

And welcome to the site!!!:sign0016:
  3. da pope

da pope New Member

That was the first thing I checked. Ive heard people talking about a multifunctional relay where is it
  4. da pope

da pope New Member

Oh yeah thanks for the welcome
  5. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The relay for the flashers should be underneath the dash. If I get to poking around the truck before someone else gives you a straight answer I'll have a look-see exactly where it is on my suburban. It should be pretty much the same place. I agree it would sound like the the relay IF the taillights worked. I don't think the taillights work through the flasher relay, but I don't know for sure.
  6. Springthing

Ok... yep, it's setting where your left foot would be, attached to the firewall side. It's in a cluster with a few other doodads... in my '99 suburban it's on the bottom right.

Again, I don't know if that's your problem seeing as the brake lights are not working, but you asked. :)

You checked the fuse block both inside the cab as well as under the hood, right?

That's as much help as I can offer!
  7. da pope

da pope New Member

yep checked all fuses in cab and under hood hope its not turn signal switch I can replace it, but its like 179.00 for the part Thanks by the way sharp burb
  8. Springthing

It shouldn't be the turn signal controller - the brake lights not coming on shouldn't be a part of it. I would hesitate to guess that it's a wiring issue. The only suggestion I'd be offer to give is to take a meter and test power all the way around. Hook it up to fuse terminal to see if you've got power there, hook it up to the fuse under the hook, etc. If anything this might show you whether the issue is out back (lights, sockets, wiring to the rear), forward of the fuse block, blah blah blah. An analog meter would be easiest to use so you can see the needle flip back and forth while the turn signals are engaged.

As an aside - do you hear the flasher relay clicking? And do the turn signals in FRONT of the truck work?
  9. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I dont know if the switch is your issue but it was on my wifes Yukon with no turn or brake on the side but had third brake light.

You can get the switch for less if you check I got mine new off ebay. $59

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item310038489790
  10. r_w

r_w New Member

It does sound like the switch and not the flasher. Do hazards work? If it is the flasher, you can get it from Advance Auto (Tridon EP29) for $15. Disclaimer - I work for the company that makes Tridon parts.