1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brake upgrades for a 1996 suburban 1500

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by barryT, Dec 5, 2008.

1. barryT

barryT Member

I just recently started towing a large boat my father in law gave me. I found the brakes especially the front brakes on the suburban to be lacking. Is there any kits or modifications I can do to improve my stopping power?

-barryT
  2. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Lots of different things you can do, depending on how much money you want to spend.

-Brake pads (I like Hawk)
    -Slotted/Cross drilled/dimpled/vented brake rotors
    -Over sized master cylinder
    -Upgraded calipers (2-6 piston)
    -Big brake kit (I like the Baer brands)

Just depends on how much you want to spend, from $20 - $2000.
  3. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

agreed, all are good things
    I would go with pads, and rotors. :great:
  4. r76davey

r76davey New Member

I'm starting with Cross-Drilled & slotted rotors and a good set of pads first!
  5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would start with Steel braided brake lines, even after putting on the new rotors and pads you will still find that they feel is mushy, which is VERY common on older chevys. The steel lines will not allow the expansion under pressure like the rubber factory ones did. BE CAREFUL, the first time you use all of these together, i used to work at a boat landing and marine and a regular customer that i would normall drive his suburban to get them on the river quicker didnt tell me he did a brake udpgrade and being used to the old mushy ones i jammed the brakes and busted my nose on the steering wheel
  6. r76davey

r76davey New Member

Already went with the steel braided lines when I did the lift... still has always had a mushy pedal. Front end is shaking like crazy when I hit the brakes now, warped rotor on drivers side!!! Cross drilled /slotted rotors are being delivered today. Will update how much it helps after I get them put on this weekend.