1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brakes applied makes a mooing noise...no joke!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by thexporter, Nov 20, 2011.

1. thexporter

thexporter New Member

OK get the laughing over.

When I apply the brakes, not at first but after a few seconds the brake pedal will go soft just a little and then it makes this dumb mooing noise.
    It does not happen everytime I use the brakes but a lot more than I'm willing to ignore..LoL.

I was thinking its a problem with the Brake Booster, so I replaced the easy items such as booster check valve and hose etc. no Help.

Any suggestions??
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club!

As soon as I read the title I thought brake booster right away, but what kind of vehicle is this on first of all?
  3. thexporter

thexporter New Member

1996 Chevy Silverado K1500, 5.7 eng. and about 92k miles on it.
  4. ShadowRejects

ShadowRejects New Member

Hahaha this made my day :) i wish my truck could moo :rofl:. anyways man it sounds kinda stange. you know if its coming from the front or rear?
  5. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member

Does the truck have Anti-lock Brakes? My ABS makes some funny noises when it kicks in.
  6. thexporter

thexporter New Member

The noise is coming from the front...

As for the ABS? I'm assuming it does but I have not researched it yet.

Regards
    Dennis
  7. francis79

francis79 New Member

i have the same problem [ mooing ]with my truck , except it only happens when the truck is moving real slow and instead of a soft pedal , mine gets hard till you tramp it down to break the vacum . i have a 98 silverado extended cab 4x4 with a 5.7
  8. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson New Member

My 2000 K2500 makes a moo-ing sound when the abs is releasing(activating). I've been having issues with it lately so I'm quite aware of it. With my truck being a hold-over model the abs unit is still under the hood. I think the newer production 00's and later have the abs unit under the cab on the frame rails.
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My 95 did the same thing. It was a bad wheel hub up front. The bearings went bad and allowed for the abs sensor gear to rub on the actual sensor. It moooed every now and then for a while and then one day may abs light came on and I had no brakes. I pressed the hub apart because I wanted to look inside. I found that the sensor gear had rubbed right thru the coating on the tip of the sensor and then ate a groove into the sensor. I replaced the hub and sensor. Never had another MOOOO from the truck unless I was on ice!
  10. thexporter

thexporter New Member

Well, I decided to replace the Brake Booster just to see if it was a $85.00 part vs. the $750.00 dollar ABS part.
    It still made the noise and the pedal pulsed so I took my 1996 K1500 to a friend that owns a shop and he confirmed it is the ABS that is causing the problem.
    So much for a simple fix, now I have to start trying to figure out what part of the ABS is giving me the trouble. I wish it had given me a "Code" so I could try and narrow down the possible components but it did not.
    How did we confirm it was the ABS? He unplugged the module under the Hood and I took it for a test drive. Surprise, problem went away. I wish I had known what to disconnect before. It would have made the trouble shooting quicker......LoL.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011