Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Brakes feel like they are grinding but still has pad left

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Magadith, May 23, 2012.

1. Magadith

Magadith New Member

Ok. My brakes in my 97 Suburban feel like they are grinding. I first thought the pads went out and checked to see if there was pad left and not grinding the rivits. They grind only coming to a stop. I got 3/8" of pad left. I looked at other causes and my theory is the wheel baring need re-greasing. I live off a dirt road and during the winter it gets real muddy. I heard that conditions like that can dry out the lubrication.

Is my theory correct or does anyone else think its something else?

2. Josh

Josh Member 100 Posts

im not certain on your 97 my 94 k1500 4x4 has hub assemblys so they just bolt on. Does it do it at every stop, come and go. or does it do it when you dont use the brakes and just roll to a stop. its possible that you could have a broken caliper bolt. the caliper rides really close to these trucks rotors. just a thought. i dont think your bearings are serviceable. they may be hubs. but dont quote me.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yea I dont think your wheel bearings are a serviceable item.
    They could be the culprit though, have you tried jacking it up and using a stethescope to listen to the hub while someone spins the wheel.
    If it's going you should be able to hear some light crunching or grinding while its spinning unloaded.
    Also look for rocks or other abrasive material caught between the pad and disc, I've had rocks create that sound before.

4. Magadith

Magadith New Member

I dont have a stethoscope but when I did examine the system I did spin the wheel and listened for grinding but no grinding just with my ears. I took off the calipers to check the pads. I checked for rocks and stuff in the pads and the caliper bolts, nothing wrong there. And its only when Im braking. I dont hear of feel it coasting to a stop.

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Check your rotors for rust. Sometimes if the vehicle is not driven a lot the rotors can develop rust spots especially where the pad sits while parked for a while and tends to happen more if you live on a dirt road. This happened to my silverado after sitting for just 1 week. You could see exactly where the pad was sitting on the rotor. The ends of the pads was where the worst corrosion occured. I was getting a bad vibration while braking. I have also seen rust around the outer edge on the backside surface of the rotor cause noise. If rust is the problem then Having them cut can fix it.

6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

you may have a caliper bolt stuck. my 05 GMC had a odd grinding noise from time to time. one of the slide pins for the calipers was seized up and it made odd noises. only heard it at low speeds. it may be ur culprit.

Alex

7. khurrle

khurrle New Member

Funny, I had the exact same thing happening with my K1500 Sub. I was hearing/feeling it in the drivers side front so I went out, bought new pads and changed them out without even thinking about it because when it comes to brakes I don't want to mess around.

Funny thing was I still had about 50% of my pads left and the rotors were beautiful. The sound has gone away and I figure at the very least I bought some peace of mind for 20.00. One thing I did find was the pad on the inside of the drivers side was cracked across the top but nothing that seemed major. I hadn't even got down to the squeal tabs on mine yet.

Good luck I hope you find the issue

8. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Just because it seems to be coming from the front does not mean that it is. It may be the back brakes, I would check them real good and I bet you find your problem. I have 4 wheel disc brakes and recently I had a grinding noise when I applied the brakes but my brake pads were only 6 months old. I could have sworn it was in the front so I checked real good and nothing. Knowing that sometimes what sounds like the front is the back I checked the back brakes and sure enough I was metal to metal on one side due to a caliper locking up. Replaced both calipers and rear pads and everything is great now. Good luck, I hope this helps. Also if you don't have a stethoscope a long thin screwdriver works well. :glasses:

9. khurrle

khurrle New Member

The grinding came back in mine and now listening to it it does seem to be coming from the rear. Guess I'm off to the parts store for some new shoes. Oh well, c'est la vie