1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brakes grabbing at low speeds

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Crawdaddy, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I've noticed latley that when I am braking from very low speeds, like creeping forward in line at the traffic light, that the brakes like to grab real hard, making the truck lurch to a halt. I know this is probably one of those simple things that I'm not thinking of, but I can't remember what would cause this or what the solution would be. I need to rotate the tires on the truck, so probably when I get around to doing that, I will inspect the brakes. However, this is kind of annoying when I'm creeping along and the brakes flat out grab and stop the truck. So, what am I forgetting that's the solution to the problem. Thanks
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Does it feel like back or front grabbing?
  3. Crawdaddy

It's somewhat felt like each of different occasions. I'm guessing it's probably the front, but a couple times (mainly when I was facing downhill) it felt like it was the rears.
  4. Cableguy

Cableguy Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Your going to need to remove and inspect, rears might have leaking wheel cylinder? Not sure why fronts would feel that way. Front pad low?
  5. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

Most burb owners would be thankful to have those kind of brakes. A lot of older burbs are not so great in the braking dept.

You don't sound very grateful....I'm just messin with ya.:tongue:

Does this only happen when the vehicle is first driven after a long sit (ex:eek:vernight), or all the time?
  6. Crawdaddy

Mainly just from an overnight sit. IIRC, it happened once or twice during the day one day, I was going to get lunch, and then at the end of the day when I was heading home.
  7. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I wonder, does this have anti-lock brakes?

If it does I wonder if the ABS could be malfunctioning?

Just a thought.
  8. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

Pull the front wheels off and check the condition of the caliper assemblies. Pay close attention to the bolts that the calipers slide on. Crud or rust can cause problems. Spray the caliper bolts with WD40, being careful not to get any on the pads/rotors. See if that helps. Otherwise it could be a problem with the proportioning valve, but that would be rare. Good time to check the pad condition while you are there.
  9. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Nice catch

Good point, I always try to remember to put anti-seize compound on those bolts so that they can slide freely.

It is good that we have so many different people on here, so that others catch the things that some forget about.

Dam STML, I think it’s getting worse.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and in mid sentence just forgot what I was going to say.

That’s one of the reasons I try to write all my posts in word and then copy and paste my answer. That way if I forget what I'm talking about I can go back and reread all the previous posts.

If it gets much worse I may find myself stopping posting, or talking. LoL
  10. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

At one time I had similar situation. Turns out that my axle seals were leaking into the brake drum. Once the heavy oil mixed with the brake dust, it actually made a heavy pasty glue. It would lock my brake shoes to the drum when the parking brake was applied for a long sit. So that when I would start to move, it would either drag the tire then break free, or for the first couple miles it would grab like the dickens when I stepped on the pedal. After it got some heat into the drums it would stop grabbing so hard.

Pull your brake drums, and check for a greasy substance. You're brake shoes will be shiny black instead of the typical dull charcoal gray.
    If that's the case, replace the shoes, your axles seals, and clean the hell out of your brake assembly. (it's a very messy job, and doesn't clean up easy)

Set aside an entire day to do this job. You'll need half the day to clean, and replace the brakes, and seals, and then the other half to clean yourself up. (dawn dish soap, and an old toilet brush will help the job go faster.)