1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

brakes keep getting stuck while driving

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by johna20376, Jan 13, 2012.

1. johna20376

johna20376 New Member

2003 silverado 1500. Brakes will sometimes not release. Have changed all hoses to the calipers. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

could be the calipers are bad, but first may be simpler. pull apart the brakes to get the caliper off the rotor. check the condition (is it rusted etc), could be as simple as getting stuck. you can try knocking it some and cleaning it. you can also try to cycle the piston a couple times; compress the piston then, slowly expand it back out (off the rotor) to see if its moving smoothly. just watch the level in the master cylinder.
  3. johna20376

johna20376 New Member

Thanks we tried that. It is all 4 brakes that stick. I was starting to wonder if either the master cylinder or brake booster are going bad
  4. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Seen this once ..pull up on brake pedal..see if they let loose. If so need master cylinder.
    Sometimes only takes 1/4 inch to keep brakes locked.
  5. Corso

Corso New Member

Have you done anything with the fluid reservoir? If that gets contaminated even slightly, it can cause symptoms you are experiencing.
  6. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

I had my break lines flushed by a shop with their machine because I did not want to get air in the lines. As you mentioned that you replaced the tubes on the brake lines, it could be air in the lines and that is not a good thing.
  7. ckfab

ckfab New Member

Well you can hope for air in the lines, because if it's the calipers, that's going to be a little more involved for sure.