Brakes Pulsing ?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by bUCKOLA, Nov 12, 2009.

1. bUCKOLA

bUCKOLA New Member

Hi folks,
    I was getting the typical brake pedal pulsing/ steering wheel shimmy that happens when the rotors go bad,so I changed the front rotors and discs. The pulsing/shimmy continued.
    My question is ...will the rear ( 4wheel discs) old or warped rotors also cause the steering wheel and pedal pulsing as well?
    I can see how it will make the pedal pulse but can't see how it would cause the steering wheel to shimmy.

Suggestions?

thanks Steve

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. VortecK1ng

VortecK1ng New Member

Bump 2004 Silverado 4x4. Oversized tires (not HUGE but as big as i could go on stock height) Thanks

3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

you hit the first thought of warped rotors, but also check the front steering/suspension for warn parts (idler, pitman, tie rods etc). those can give you some shimmy and in the steering wheel during braking.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Check the tie rod ends closely, as well as the hub unit bearings. Both trouble spots on these trucks. Rear brakes can cause pulsing in the pedal too.

5. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You can easily take your rotors off, and take them into a shop and have them re surfaced, i had rear brakes that did this on my 02, i just replaced everything to do with my brakes(calipers, pads, rotors). It was expensive, but fixed my problem. And really helped with my braking power.