1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Brakes question

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by MPclk2006, Feb 7, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. MPclk2006

MPclk2006 Rockstar

Call me a noob but i just had the brakes done on my 07 silverado and drove from there to the store and then home...both stops as i walked out of the truck i smelled a burning smell....is this normal for brand new brakes, they put new pads and machined the rotors...got my wife's jeep commander done last month and i dont recall experiencing that....

Thamks.

2. silverZ71

silverZ71 New Member

The only thing I can think of is the the calipers are too tight. you can always take it back if it continues doing it.

3. PondWarrior

PondWarrior New Member

I Replaced the brakes on my truck myself, it's an '01 so I was pretty confident with it instead of taking it into a mechanic.
    However I don't recall a burning smell at all and they've been on there since the summer, that's definitely not normal.
    Only thing I could suggest is keep an eye on it and if it persists or gets worse then take it back to where the work was done.

4. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

the smell could be from the pads if they are metallic or semi-metallic.....I would check again in a few days...if not, take er' back in ...Brian from Canada

5. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Smell comes from the heat of the brakesbeing caused by improper fit/installation and /or brake adjustments incorrect. You ever see a big rig with smoke coming out the tires? Well that is what you will see if you don't correct the problem. It is called a brake fire. I have put many out in my travels as most big rigs seem to forget their fire extinguishers.

6. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Release the E-brake?

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Thats not normal, take it back to the shop and have them look it over.
    The pads dont need to burn off or anything like that, in fact excessive burning of the brake shoes will glaze the rotors and degrade braking effectiveness.