1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brakes

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by rogerr124, Nov 1, 2010.

1. rogerr124

rogerr124 New Member

I have a 1997 Chevy S-10 FWD and when I brake normally you can't tell anything is wrong, but if I have to stop in an emergency it won't stop until it coasts another 20 feet or so. Gets scary! I replaced the master cylinder and bled the brakes but it didn't help. Any ideas?
    Thanks
  2. frozenrotors

frozenrotors New Member

Check your Brake Booster. Sometimes, especially on GM vehicles they will develop a minor leak, which will give you a 'vague' feeling at the pedal. It can sometimes also cause rough idle if it gets bad enough. One thing I have noticed in diagnosing this, is while pressing down hard on the brake pedal (while in park) you can notice a change in idle speed and sometimes hear a whistling or hissing sound in the cab. GM has never been known for having IMO very good brake pedal feed back. It seems like it's all or nothing, with brake pedal feel or modulation.

Keith
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2011
  3. wolfmann

wolfmann Member

i would also check the pads and rotors/drums to see if there is any oil that has gotten on them and also to see if the rotor are glazed. have had this on past motorcycles and sometimes they just need a simple brake job. the last time that i have seen this the pads looked to be in good shape, but upon disasembly discovered hard spots on the pads, i replaced them and had rotors turned and that took care of the problem. hope this helps