1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Break Fluid Leaking Is The Line Or Part?

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by spirittoo, Aug 9, 2012.

1. spirittoo

spirittoo Member

Howdy ... just found out I have break fluid leak, but I don't know if it is the break line or this part in the picture ... this is on the driver's side of the truck. Anyone know what that part is? Is it related to the breaks?

It was really weird ... when I parked the truck the brake pedal when way down and I heard the fluid going out. Didn't know what happen and at the time I didn't know the break fluid was leaking out ... at first I thought the liquid on the garage floor was water from the ac ... then today I use the truck and going down the road ... suddenly the anti lock break light comes on and the speedometer stops working.
    :no:

When I came to a stop the engine stalled ... it restarted ok, when down the road again ... slow down to a stop ... engine stalls. Then the "service engine light comes on along with the anti lock break light. When I get to my destination I check the break fluid and it's low. I add some more and the anti lock brake goes off, the speedometer starts working again, but the service engine light was still on.

I stopped at another store when I start the truck again the service engine soon light is off. I have no idea what cause that. I realize the wet spot in the garage was brake fluid and not water. I check under the truck and I see a leak, but I don't know if it is the line or the part that I don't know what it is in the picture. Can anyone tell me what the part is and could it be the leak?

Thank you for your time.

Attached Files:

2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Yeah, could be, probably is. From the looks of it you will be replacing lines and fittings. On a side note, did someone use a cutoff wheel to split the fuel filter bracket? Is this the part you are refering to, metal can with two lines? That would be the fuel filter and there would be no mistaking fluid from this compared to fluid from the brakes.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

As dpeter suggests, you have a leak in the brake line. From the look of those lines, you have no choice, but to replace ALL lines.

Do it now, before you have an accident.
  4. spirittoo

spirittoo Member

Definitely getting lines replaced

Thanks guys:great: ... I don't plan to use the truck until after those lines are replaced. Don't want to get into any accident:gasp:. As far as the bracket on the fuel filter I don't think anyone cut it. I figure that's the way it is. Any idea why the speedometer when crazy on me?:neutral:
  5. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Like what everyone else said...replace ALL the lines!...also those fuel lines coming from the fuel filter dont look to healthy either :no:
  6. spirittoo

spirittoo Member

Thanks for the input .. I will have the fuel lines replace too.:great: