1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Break in and Follow on oils

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jonejam2, Feb 19, 2011.

1. jonejam2

jonejam2 New Member

Ok another wierd thread.

After rebuilding my 5.7 vortec in my 96 chev suburban 1500 the guy who did a lot of the machine work talked me into using the Joe Gibbs Break in oil (and since I kept my roller cam untouched and reused the hydraulic lifters) for 200 miles then change the oil/filter but to go with Joe Gibbs Racing oil. He talked up the Zinc vs detergent issue and all that so I did what he recommended.

Now i've been reading that the high zinc oils like Joe Gibbs Racing oils can and will foul up your catalytic converter in the everyday non-high performance engines. I just did my initial change after the break in and am running this JG racing oil now.

Question: 1. Is this oil actually BAD for these roller cam engines and their emissions systems?
    2. Should I get it out of my suburban and if so what do you recommend I run?

Thanks again Everyone.

JJ
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Roller cam engines don't need all the zinc. Just use a good quality synthetic oil like Mobil1. And no crap filters like Fram.
  3. jonejam2

jonejam2 New Member

Thanks 2COR. That's what I thought. I'm gonna get that Joe GIbbs out of there in about a month.

JJ