1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!
  1. rdrgz_ezekiel

rdrgz_ezekiel New Member

hey yall im re-building my tahoes 350 and i was wondering 2 things. first can i re use my head bolts or should i buy new ones, and what oil should i use to break it in

i appreciate the help
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

New heads bolts, Always! As far as break in oil, someone else will have to answer that.
  3. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member

You MUST use break in oil. It contains zinc and without it you'll toast the engine in matter of minutes. http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-break-in-oil/

The old head bolts cannot be used because they have actually stretched and distorted. After a few thousand heat soak cycles they get tempered. New bolts will give the best performance to evenly camp the head down and after spending a lot of money on the engine you don't want a blown head gasket down the road. Each time you torque any bolt, you are stretching it and it really never comes back to it's original length on a removal.