Breakin Ice or Drawin Lines: Showing up at New Commands

Discussion in 'Military & Vets' started by Drake_korthos, May 9, 2011.

1. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Hey ya'll just wanted to see if there's any interesting stories out there about hittin up a new command with yer truck. I've had both encounters where my Chevy (was a good truck!) broke the ice and helped me aclimate to the new area, and where a Ford/Dodge person felt the urge to try and explain to me how much more "superior" their truck was :rofl: So, what have ya'll experienced?? :sign0011:

2. LoneWolf'burban

LoneWolf'burban Rockstar 100 Posts

It was a fellow mechanic's 72 short bed that got me into a circle of friends. Back in early 05 when flames were the rage, I seen his truck in all it's glory. Black with silver flake paint, red, yellow, and orange flames that looked good, twin scoops on the hood that worked, a 350 H.O. from a 75 vette and four speed Saginaw gear box. After work the second day I was there, I hung around to learn a bit about the truck and found out he was in my unit. My immediate suporviser to be exact. Last I knew he owned his own custom shop called NYC Customs in El Paso.

3. Drake_korthos

I actually learned a lot more about a bunch of buddies of mine at the country bar I hung out at in Japan because of my first truck. When I excitedly told them about the new Chevy I was pickin up, they all started swappin stories about their first trucks, askin what I was gonna do to mine (and what I should do!), and offerin to help me install stuff and go four wheelin with. Had a lot of good times with that crew!

Only advisarial encounter I had was in Lemoore, CA at my wife's squadron's BBQ. A woman there had Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummings Diesel, and spent a good deal of the evening telling me about how inferior and underpowered my truck was compared to hers. Honestly think she was tryin to hurt my "manpride" or something. Just kept telling her that my Silverado was perfect for what I needed, and just right for my budget. She left me alone once she noticed she wasn't bothering me. It was one of the most interesting encounters I've had with somebody who was so anti GM!

4. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine.... There's NO G in Cummins! :glasses:

5. Drake_korthos

lol, no worries! what I get for typin half asleep and tryin to multitask!

6. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

We got a new CSM when I was on Active Duty and I was in the process of restoring my 87 IROC (that I wish I still had). I had literally just got it out of the paint shop a few days prior and drove it in cause my Company Commander was wanting to see it (He had an 86 Monte Carlo SS if I recall right). The CSM must have liked what he heard (the IROC did sound pretty mean) cause as my CO and I were talking he walked up and started looking at it. Said I had a hell of a car and so that was how I met our new CSM LOL.

7. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I had my 96 silverado (lowerred, ext cab, tonneau cover, carpeted bed) shipped over when I went to Germany for my first (and ultimately only) duty station. It took a couple of weeks to get shipped and during that time I hadn't talked to my 1SG hardly at all. When I drove that up to PT suddenly PT wasn't as important and started a bit late because we were talking about trucks. He had a 96 Burban that he'd put some money into. He and I got along really well after that. That, plus the fact he figured out I wouldn't take it easy on him in football or basketball just because he was the 1SG which he told me he loved. We got along really well until he left.