1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bring back the El Camino

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Jamm3r, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member

Today I want to ride around in an El Camino and listen to 8 track tapes.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

They did bring it back. It's called the HSV Maloo. HSV stands for Holden Special Vehicles and it's the performance division of GM Holden Ltd in Australia.

Here's the HSV Maloo R8:
    MalooR8_Exterior_Feature.jpg

Feel free to import one from Aussieland if you want one badly enough. You're also welcome to put an 8-track player in it if you insist on 8-tracks.
  3. silverhobey

silverhobey Member

kool..never knew sycuh existed....thanks SurrealOne ,,,Brian
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I too would love to see one back here in the US...
  5. SurrealOne

I never much liked El Caminos ... but I'd definitely drive a Maloo.
  6. 2k8z71

2k8z71 New Member

I will even take the non HSV version. as long as it has a LS based engine under the bonnet lol. I always looked forward to my Australia port visits so I could drool over all the "forbidden fruit" we cant get here stateside. lol
  7. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

Haha, unfortunately having been in a "real" El Camino the way us old folks remember them, that holden is butt ugly.....

My grandfather and uncle worked for GM in Michigan at Fisher body and I learned how to drive at 15 years old with a permit in 18 inches of snow in a "real"
    El Camino.

I learned allot really quick.... That holden looks more like a large version of that Isuzu or something that I cannot place the name of which I would not be caught dead in.

And for some odd reason, I don't think the engine in that Maloo is going to have the same grumble and power when idleing or pressing the gas as the big block carbed v8 did in a "real" El Camino...

There is a joke in the gaming community: "But can it play Crysis" or "But can it play Crysis 2?" (Crysis is a computer game that will put your computer to the test to play at the best quality settings).

So my next question here is, The "real" El Camino can carry a 4ft x 8ft sheet of plywood in its bed, Can the Maloo do the same?

An educated guess from the looks of it is "No" so it is basically a small show off car..... not much utility value at all.

-----------------------------------------
    Here is information on the Z Series Special Edition (They offer a 6.0L V8:

Standard
    features

• – SS – 6.0 litre Generation IV Alloy V8 engine and 6-speed manual transmission
    • – Optional 6.0 litre Generation IV Alloy V8 engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM) and 6-speed automatic transmission
    • – Bio-ethanol compatibility+
    • – Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
    • – 6 Airbags
    • – Touch-screen Holden-iQ System‡
    • – Dual-zone climate control
    • – Satellite Navigation with full colour mapping and live traffic updates
    • – Enhanced Bluetooth®
    • – USB/Auxiliary input for compatible iPod® and MP3 devices
    • – Rear view camera with Rear Park Assist
    • – Embroidered SS leather appointed sport seats
    • – Sports profile leather wrap steering wheel with illuminated controls
    • Sedan, Sportwagon & Ute
    • Z-Series
    • features
    • – 19"

So maybe it will be comparable to an old school EL Camino
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  8. SurrealOne

@nakranij, the HSV Maloo is a hopped up performance vehicle -- not made for work. The donor model from which it is derived is called the Commodore UTE. The donor can supposedly take full sheets of plywood -- something many of the modern stateside trucks can't do with their 5.5' long beds. In that context the Maloo is still comparable, by the way, since it's unfair to hold it to standards that 'country Cadillacs' with 5.5' beds can't meet.

But still, if you want one for work you buy the base, S, or SS model of the UTE. I seem to recall that only the SS UTE has a V8 in it; the others have a V6.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I dated a girl that had an El Camino. Her father and her completely restored the body and interior. They dropped a 350 in it. That thing was quick. I would love to have one. I do not see very many around anymore. I guess that the salt got to them all.
  10. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member

I know up where i live a friend of mine owns 2 El Caminos, one a 1969 the other a 1983. But the 83 just has the **** brown color that i just think should be a different color, with a 305 in it and true dual exhaust with 2 12 inch glass packs i think. Also that euro elcamino just does not look right. I think the only el caminos there are are the old american ones.