1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Broken Brake Caliper Bolt.

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Mike Hill, Nov 28, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Mike Hill

Mike Hill New Member

1997 K2500 6.5TD Eight Bolt

Whoops! Or words that sounded like that,was what I said the evening.I broke the Head off the Top Bolt that holds the Brake Caliper on.As it sits down a hole on the Caliper.Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it?

I was thinking about welding small Washers one by one to the Bolt head and when I have built it up to above the Surface of the Caliper weld on a Nut?

Shame my welding is 60% at best:no:
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If you have the welding equipment handy, that would be the ticket. The rapid intense heat will break the corrosion between the bolt and knuckle too. Once you get the nut welded on, the bolt should come right out.
  3. Mike Hill

Mike Hill New Member

Thanks 2COR! I will try that this evening.I was thinking about starting to "Tack" the Nut on so I don't Cook the Nut and have it break when I turn it.Trial and error untill I make it stick.
  4. Mike Hill

Mike Hill New Member

I prised out the Sleeve the Bolt goes through to meet the end of the Broken Bolt.Then I welded the two together.I placed a Washer on the End and Welded it on.Then I got a Nut about the same size as the Washer and Welded the Nut on.Out it came!
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Great success!!
  6. Mike Hill

Mike Hill New Member

Very Nice!