Broken distributer!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by vncj96, Jun 16, 2011.

1. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

So for a while now the Beast has had a little hiccup in the idle, no ses light or codes so I was testing resist/ce of the wires and noticed the cap was loose. I have never changed it but it has been changed in the 6 years I have owned it, hmmmmmmm. Well one of the PLASTIC rings for the mounting screws was broken so the cap was just flopping around. Of course it was the plastic that was on the distributer side and not the cap side, so a piece of plastic now warrents an entire new distributer at $300+, so I am going to try and fanagle some kind of clamp with a screw, washer and nut but with the back of the intake manifold right there I am not sure how well it will go. Any pointers or same experiance out there?

2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

hose clamp might work. not sure how its all layed out.

Alex

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Someone on this site found billet replacement distributor for your truck really cheap. He said he's had his for awhile and it works great. Hopefully he see your post. I'll try to see if I can find his post.

4. vncj96

Well no luck with the screw but I loaded it with some high temp RTV sealer and we will see if that helps it until I can afford to get a new distributer. I am gonna have to do some hunting, maybe I can take it apart and get a junked distributer and rebuild with the good ring. PLASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY????? It gets brittle from heat, it can break with over torqueing!! I guess its just all part of the game!!

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I think it was stephan that had the billet dist., I think.

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

The bushings in the Distibutor are what fried out and caused the ring to break. I know that up here in Northern Mn you can get a junk yard dist for $50... and that will do what you need it to. Just check for play before you buy it. Or else the local Craigslist. if you do happen to get it tight again it will just knock the back side of the ring out as well. That is the down side of the Vortec distributors. and the Billet ones can be had off of Ebay for $180 or less..

7. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

It was Daredevil that bought that dist STB. I've been looking for that same post but can't find it.

@ VCNJ, yep it's part of the game alright. It's called planned obsolescence, & is not limited to the automotive industry, but is part of every manufacturing industry worldwide.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

ha, found it. This is the one that DD Scott bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILLE...item3365a43e94

8. vncj96

Well i got a bandaid for it, i had some metal wire and just fashioned a strap for it using the one good screw and adding a washer to it and then getting another nut to go onto the last stud sticking up for the intake manifold. Worked great, until i have time and money to repair it, I just had my first day off of work in 34 days so who knows when it could be.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The distributor in the posted link is the way to go. I have a friend that has installed many with no problems. On my wish/need list.