1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Broken Heater Hose Assembly at Intake

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jgrimmster, Dec 4, 2010.

1. jgrimmster

jgrimmster New Member

GMs are infamous for the heater hose connectors breaking off at the intakes, leaving the threaded portion in the intake. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the threaded portion from the intake?

I have attempted to use 2 pipe extractors, one was to large the other to small.

2000 GMC Youkon Denali 5.7L
  2. grandparon

grandparon Member

Well, you need to get the right tool for the job. Get the right size and it should come out. Spray a little penetrating fluid on it also if it is stuck.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

They usually snap off because their corroded, as stated get the right size and try that, if thats not possible I have had success removing them by using a dremel tool to cut a slit down the inside of the portion threaded in and chipping it out with picks or a screwdriver.
  4. neverenough

neverenough New Member

+1 had to do it years ago in my '97. buy the machined one to replace, not the cast junk!
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The cast pot metal is the problem. As mentioned, dremel, chisel, pick, whatever you can use. I think you can get a repair kit at Napa too. The extractor might not be much help at this point, but the tap to clean the threads would be useful.
  6. jgrimmster

jgrimmster New Member

Good News: Threads are out :party:

Bad News: Manifold broke in the process :grrrrrr:

DSCN05521.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  7. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Oh no! That sucks! Broke it bad?!
  8. jgrimmster

jgrimmster New Member

Added a pic above
  9. jgrimmster

jgrimmster New Member

Tapped the outlet on the intake and used J B Weld to fix the part of the intake that broke. System is holding water and working fine.
  10. jgrimmster

jgrimmster New Member