Broken leaf spring shackle - how can I fix this?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by josephawad, Mar 29, 2013.

1. josephawad

josephawad New Member

I have a broken leaf spring shackle under my '99 silverado extended cab. The broken shackle is on the driver side, the passenger side one is fine (for now.) I noticed it today when I was walking towards my truck and I noticed one side was dipped down more than the other, although not significantly. The frame is rusting out slowly, and I don't plan on keeping the truck after this work season (sadly), although I do need it to get me through the summer safely.

This is the passenger side shackle (couldn't get a better angle than this):
    20130329_182557.jpg

And the driver side, which is obviously the broken one:

20130329_182723.jpg
    Another angle from underneath, showing the leaf spring holding up the bed
    Note it didn't go through the bed, it's actually holding up much better than I expected it to, as I knew it was going to break at some point.
    20130329_182742.jpg

I just need to know what I would do to fix this. I really don't understand how I would do this without taking it to a shop as I've never done work on a vehicle before. The main reason I'm trying to avoid taking it to a shop is because I'm really short on cash right now, with my work season just starting, and I need my truck for work.

Also, I know there's a lot of rust under the truck. Just had a ton of framework done and replaced two cross members, which cost me a fortune.
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

replacing the shackles you will need a torch. possibly a cutting one . most shops with this equipment can do this with not much effort. I would have a shop with repair experience with this do it. just hope that the frame is solid at the rear so the shackles are solidly mounted.

as far as you frame goes from what I can see it surely is rusted out badly. you cannot weld rust . good luck .
  3. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 100 Posts

Salty Roads, suxxxxx! Good Luck.
  4. josephawad

josephawad New Member

Why would I need a torch for this? Wouldn't I be able to unbolt the old shackle and put a new one in? I think that would do the trick, at least before something else rots out and breaks.

Thanks for the sympathy Jimmy :p
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Where are you? You can TRY to Air impact But don't think it will work..
  6. josephawad

josephawad New Member

I live in Halifax, Canada. I don't see why I would have to go through all this trouble. Wouldn't it be as simple as pulling the leaf spring down and replacing it? Regardless, I'm going to get it done at a shop, but how much do you think it would cost? And would it be cheaper if I bought the parts online? I found the shackles for 30 bucks each
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Parts are cheap It's all labor There is a new shackle with a spring in it that gives you smoother ride..
  8. josephawad

josephawad New Member

yeah well how much labour do you think? I was told it could be as quick as one hour, but now I'm being told it's much more complex than I imagined it being.
  9. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

your thinking of just unbolt and install new shackle shows just how little you know . even experienced mechanics have problems with these part replacements. the bolts rust up and swell so that even if you had a huge air gun all that would happen is the bolts would snap off. then you have a spring with a broken bolt rusted in it . this is where the cutting torch comes into play to melt out the mess and if the guy is good all that is needed is the shackle not a leaf.

then you have a frame thats rusted out bad.

cost is on this job by the hour rate. since your from Halifax the shops must be good at rusted out frame work to repair.

I had a cross member replaced on my 2000 SIL . rear over the fuel tank. I was lucky and found a shop that did this many times before it cost only 400 USD. some places wanted 1200 and they never did one !
  10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would think it shouldn't take much more than an hour or 2 at the most. Most of the time cutting the bolt is the easiest and fastest way to remove the old. So 2 Shackles and 2 bolts/nuts. If they charge you more than $4 or 5 hundred total I would say no.
    It is something you could do on your own. It is fairly easy. Support the frame with a jack, use a grinder with a cutting wheel than install new. If you go that route I would get some POR15 or similar rust paint to slow down the rusting since you don't plan on keeping the truck much longer.