1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

broken spark plug

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Conlan Rose, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

It was not and the end of the plug was in the rubber but the socket was just not long enought it was close tho. I will have to see if I ave another plug socket around to see if that one is better. Still need to get the broken one off.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  3. Conlan Rose

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Did you get it out? if so, How did you do it?
  5. Conlan Rose

Not yet, the person who has the tool I need is coming over today. We will be using a a 5/8th bolt extractor. I hope it works and none of the plug is in the cylinder.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind on today he had an issue and had to take care of his mother. He will be here early tomorrow while I'm at school my mom will stay home to give him keys and access to my tools if he needs them. Very frustrating not having a car..... In this time I could have bought the tool my self and had it shipped via snail mail.
  6. Conlan Rose

Well theres no hope... plug is in there to stay... so I'm ****ed not much else to say. I just Idk...... I think I'm done with it just done.....

Any one want a 1996 Tahoe with 7cy can't pass emissions, and broke plug?
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Sorry to hear that! Good news though. Pulling the head off is not all that hard. Other than the fact that it will cost money to repair, you are not that screwed.
  8. Conlan Rose

I can't currently afford to do it and it just doesn't feel worth doing the who know how expensive repair, especially because she has almost 200,000 miles, is beat up and after doing those gaskets and repairs it may just cause something else to break.

- - - Updated - - -

It will cost around $350 in just supplies....
    Head gasket set: 119.99
    Head bolt set x2: 16.99 per
    Anti freeze full strength Dex-cool x3: 15.99 per
    Synthetic oil 1qt x6: 8.99 per
    Oil filter: 6.99
    Fuel filter: 14.99-30.00
    Plug wire set: 38.00
    Tax rate is 6.35%

- - - Updated - - -

The two shops I use either charge 98.00 an hour or 90 an hour. I'm not sure how much it will cost because after all that you need to include price for getting the heads done and removing the plugs. this is gonna end up adding up to like $2,000 in repair costs.

Also learned my left ABS sensor is dead and pass side cat is dead....$180 for the sensor and new exhaust is $650 then I will also need new O2 sensors at 60 per. Its more than the ****ing truck is worth.

I want to feel that it is worth it but it just feels not. If anyone is willing to convince me that its worth this huge sum of money to get her fixed please I'm listening.
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

I wouldn't give up that quickly, I know you tried a stud extractor, try a screw extractor. I found this, http://www.tigraionline.com/broken_sparkplug.html

The only problem with the screw extractor is the danger of the tip falling into the cylinder.
  10. Conlan Rose

The plug is rusted to the block the only way to remove it is to drill it out.