Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

broken spark plug

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Conlan Rose, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Hmmm, how well do you think it works?

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The commercial made it look like it was magic, IDK. I checked their site, found 2 products, one was a penetrating oil and the other was a corrosion retarder, I suspect the commercial I saw was the penetrating oil.

3. Conlan Rose

Looks sweet. May try that.... Still will get estimates just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

I brought Tahoe to the shop they are going to see what they can do. The head mechanic said he has removed tons of broken plugs, but some time they just don't budge so hes not guaranteeing anything. He also said he has every tool made for the task and tools that kinda just work for it. I told him I don't wanna spend over 300 for this initial try so that's about 3 hours of labor that he will spend trying. He also will replace the other plugs.

4. Conlan Rose

Spent $330 they replaced all the plugs and removed the bad one. All the other plugs came out with out a problem so all it well. She's running smoother, but her bad cat is still hindering her. Did learn I have a coolant leak from the radiator or a hose and its fairly significant, I will have to do a pressure test and inspect it my self. Radiators aren't much any way and in 90's trucks they are easy to remove. I will keep putting coolant in it as it leaks out until I can afford to fix.

5. I've heard of this happening on Fords. After reading this I will put PB blaster on any plugs I take out.

6. Conlan Rose

It is more of a ford thing, but it can happen to any car,truck or SUV. There's several lessons here:
    1. Use penetrating oil there is no such thing as to much. (PB Blaster, WD40)
    2. Proper sockets help a lot.
    3. Change your plugs on time or before to prevent problems.
    4. Murphy's Law....
    5. Choose a shop that wants to save you money and keeps you well informed.

7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Glad to hear you are back on the road... Enjoy your ride... Next???

8. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If the leak is from a hose, it needs to be changed; if from a gasket, or from the radiator, there are lots of stop leak produces on the market. Most will stop the leak and the repair will last for a long time (I have even used them in hot water boilers with great success). Bardal has a liquid that's works well, and there is a powered product, I think from Prestone (but not sure) that works well.

If nothing else, it will get you a few months, or a year, and it is a lot cheaper, not to mention safer, than antifreeze.