Broken V/C bolt repair...

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bigbluesub, Jan 18, 2011.

1. bigbluesub

bigbluesub Rockstar

So my Viking nightmare continues.... I picked up a used engine for my Suburban, as I stripped it of accessories etc.... I found it had a v/c bolt broken off flush with the head. I drilled a nice hole straight thru and proceeded to break off an ez out in it, below the bolt. I wound up driving it all the way to the bottom of the hole trying to chip it out. Drilling against it didnt work. Finally I used a die grinder to create holes around it, I got the damn thing out. Now I am left with an ugly large goofy hole.... What are some ways to fix.

can i drill and tap jb weld?

thanks in advance for your help...

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I would get a thread insert & put in it to resize it back to the stock bolt size & thread pitch. This will make it a much cleaner repair. Stay away from helicoils. They are more difficult to use.
    Congrats on getting the broken off easyout, out of there. When I read that you had broken it off in a blind hole I thought you were sunk.

3. bigbluesub

bigbluesub Rockstar

Thanks for the reply, any others that can share their fixes?

4. Taddpole

Taddpole Member

How about JB welding a 1/4-20(or other size) nutsert into your over sized hole, maybe that would work. Put a bolt with release agent in the threads to keep them clean. As for broken bolt removal I sometimes weld a nut to the bolt and the heat helps with removal. I also have a set of left handed drill bits that help in times like this. Never had much luck w/small ez outs.

Good luck with your new motor.