1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Broken V/C bolt repair...

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bigbluesub, Jan 18, 2011.

1. bigbluesub

bigbluesub Rockstar

So my Viking nightmare continues.... I picked up a used engine for my Suburban, as I stripped it of accessories etc.... I found it had a v/c bolt broken off flush with the head. I drilled a nice hole straight thru and proceeded to break off an ez out in it, below the bolt. I wound up driving it all the way to the bottom of the hole trying to chip it out. Drilling against it didnt work. Finally I used a die grinder to create holes around it, I got the damn thing out. Now I am left with an ugly large goofy hole.... What are some ways to fix.

can i drill and tap jb weld?

thanks in advance for your help...
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

I would get a thread insert & put in it to resize it back to the stock bolt size & thread pitch. This will make it a much cleaner repair. Stay away from helicoils. They are more difficult to use.
    Congrats on getting the broken off easyout, out of there. When I read that you had broken it off in a blind hole I thought you were sunk.
  3. bigbluesub

bigbluesub Rockstar

Thanks for the reply, any others that can share their fixes?
  4. Taddpole

Taddpole Member

How about JB welding a 1/4-20(or other size) nutsert into your over sized hole, maybe that would work. Put a bolt with release agent in the threads to keep them clean. As for broken bolt removal I sometimes weld a nut to the bolt and the heat helps with removal. I also have a set of left handed drill bits that help in times like this. Never had much luck w/small ez outs.

Good luck with your new motor.