Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Broken window regulator....

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by DirtDog, Mar 2, 2008.

1. DirtDog

DirtDog Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys.

I have a 2007 Silverado Classic. I ordered the truck with LS trim minus the power windows and locks. Today, I was in town at Hardee's getting some food, and when I rolled my drivers' side window down, the crank stuck, and then the glass dropped all the way down!!! Thankfully, it did not break the glass. When I got home I took off the door panel to investigate the problem. I found two cable ends just hanging loose, so I removed the whole regulator to check it out. It turns out that the cables inside the crank got frayed and bound up, thus causing the cables to dislodge from the tracks and letting the window drop. I managed to get it put back together enough to get the window to roll up. I am taking the truck to the dealer in the morning to try and get it fixed. It is still under warranty. My question is, will they hassle me because I had the door taken apart? Also, the vapor barrier on the door did not stick back all too well when I put it back together, will they replace it when and if they replace the regulator?? I hope so. Also, I noticed the other day that my window made a sound like a rubber band being "plinked" when you rolled it up, then this happened. The passenger side window is also making the same noise. Should I bring up the passenger window to the dealer? Please help.

Jack:confused:

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow, that's not good.

No, they will not hassle you about this. You had to get the window back up to protect your valuables, protect the interior for bad weather, etc. You needed to take it apart to keep it secure, that's normal and it's something you needed to do. They should cover all the pieces.

3. DirtDog

Thanks Steve. That made me feel a bit better. I already had to take my truck back for another problem about 4 months ago. My battery light came on and would not go off. This happened right after I upgraded my stereo. (I immediately thought "oh crap... they wont fix it") It turned out that my stereo had nothing to do with it, my generator control module was faulty. They replaced it no problem, and I got a rental car free while they had my truck. Maybe they will take care of this for me, I'll let ya know what happens.

Jack.

4. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Next time you take it in for repairs, ask for a truck instead of a rental car. In most cases if they have a loner truck available they will give it to you.

This is also an option when you are in an accident. If you have rental coverage on your insurance and you get wrecked they will get you another truck.

This is important to people who use their trucks like many of us here.

I mean just how many bales of hay could I fit in a car?

5. DirtDog

Well, just got back from the dealer. They are going to replace the regulator for me with no problem, and check out the passenger door and possibly replace the regulator in it too. They asked me if I needed a truck, and I will not be hauling anything for a few days so I said no. They gave me an '06 Pontiac Grand Prix to drive until my truck is fixed.:money: I'll update y'all as soon as I get the truck back.

Thanks for the comments.
    Jack

6. DirtDog

Update...

Well, The dealer just called me and said that my truck is ready to go. I'm going to go pick it up when I go out later on today. I am going to remove the door panel and check out everything as soon as I get it home. I'll post pics too.

Jack.

7. DirtDog

Another update... I didn't make it to the dealership today to pick up my truck. I'll go get it tomorrow when I go out. I'll still post up pics and update y'all again.

Jack.

8. DirtDog

Got my baby back!!!

Well, I went and picked up my truck today. I admit that I missed her, but I was kinda getting attached to the grand prix that they gave me to drive.:money: What a fun, FAST, great handling car!!! (thats all I can say just in case anyone at the dealership reads this... LOL) Anyway, when I got to the dealer, I gave the truck a quick inspection, and everything seemed to be good. They had to replace both the driver and the passenger side regulators, the cable in the passenger side one was about to break! I drove her home and dug out my tools. I started with the drivers' side door:

[​IMG]

As you can see, everything looks good. The window rolls up and down fine now. Time to go inside:

[​IMG]

They did not replace the vapor barrier, they just reused the old one. It was loose in a few spots, but I fixed that with some clear box tape. They also didn't bother removing the speaker to put the barrier back behind it, as you can see here:

[​IMG]

9. DirtDog

Ok, after removing the speaker and properly re-applying the vapor barrier, here's how it looks:

[​IMG]

Here is the driver's side all buttoned back up:

[​IMG]

10. DirtDog

Now, on to the passenger's side. This side was a lot better. The vapor barrier was reinstalled a whole lot better, except for the fact that they tore it!!!!

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the tear:

[​IMG]

and here the passenger side is all fixed up. I once again used clear box tape to fix the tear and to help hold on the barrier in some places:

[​IMG]

They actually removed the speaker when they reinstalled the barrier on this side, it looks good around it:

[​IMG]