1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Budget AC Swap / Upgrade

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by K15 Blazer Guy, Jun 7, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member 100 Posts

So again, my truck is a 1993.... The last year for R-12 refrigerant... LOL
    so if it craps out, I either pay through the nose, or risk death in Mexico because some ******* in CA decided R-12 hurts earth...
    it’s been 20 years...

thankfully there are millions of these trucks driving and sitting in bone yards with R-134A AC systems.
    I was wondering how involved I need to get to switch my refrigerant...
    can I simply change the compressor & lines and flush the system somehow, then refill/recharge it?
    Or does everything need to come out?

condenser, compressor, evaporator, that drip canister, the AC box behind the entire dash... let me know if I’m missing anything. This is my first AC vehicle, and it’s pretty awesome.... got to keep it alive.

thanks!
  2. chevy66

chevy66 New Member

Before you make a switch to R134 (which doesn't get as cold as an R12 system), check out www.duracool.com - they supposedly have R12 compatible replacement refrigerants which are legal to use. I have not yet tried this stuff, but have heard success stories from reliable sources. Let us know what you end up doing.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ive used Duracool on a few of the classics thatve passed through my ownership, some classic car collectors get real funny over certain items, and freon can be one of them.
    I had a $38,000 deal on a mostly original 69 RS/SS Camero go south last month after I told the buyer it was running R134A vice R12.
    Duracool gets the system temps in the same range as R12.
  4. K15 Blazer Guy

yeah it works fine now... but....... everyone says it should be blowing icicles out the dash...
    I was able to find a bottle of R-12
    $T2eC16N,!yME9s5qF8u!BRo7Ooh,-!~~60_57.jpg

but... ive never tried these before. they seem like a total gimmick and wont even work... has anyone else used these? is there a trick to it?
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  5. r2142

r2142 New Member

It is a rare thing that you found r-12. I am a licenced AC Tech and I have a hard time finding it. Let alone being able to buy it at a good price. If you have a chance I would definately go see a tech to leak check the system before charging. any water in system or leaks will result in poor performance and become costly if you were to just recharge it. If you so choose to not pressure check the system, and wish to just put more in, There is a special guage that you should have when charging refrigerant. If you have a local Johnstone supply or comparably industrial refrigeration company nearbuy you can buy the guage manifold and hoses. Personally, I would look at changing it over with R-414B but you still need a license to buy that well. For the average joe, R-134 is the way to go but you still need to thoroughly flush out the system of any trace R-12
  6. K15 Blazer Guy

bummer... yeah I figured as much with the simple "plug in and recharge" can idea... seems too good to be true.
    my buddy want to go to mexico for the 4th just to get fireworks... maybe I should drive to recharge my R12 while im there.
    I don't think anyone can legally touch it here... even to buy this I had to legally state I was only going to sell it. not use it...... LOL!!