1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bug Shield Noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by fish4funjb, Dec 30, 2008.

1. fish4funjb

fish4funjb New Member

Has anyone else installed the AVS NBS Bug Shield? I did this and at 70 mph I get a windshield slapping noise. This is the most annoying thing I have heard yet with my truck. ANyone else have this installed and get these noises?:grrrrrr:
  2. fish4funjb

fish4funjb New Member

Does anyone have a different type of bug shield? If so doe sit make any crazy wind noises on your window?
  3. Stouffer

Stouffer New Member

I just installed the weatehrtech bug shield on my 08 Silverado and get the same noise. It starts at about 63 mph.
  4. fish4funjb

fish4funjb New Member

That's it the slapping on the wind shield side almost as if someone is tapping on it. The only thing I can see is the guards on the glass. I am going to tape them down and test it just to see if that is the culprit making the noise.
  5. sean84

sean84 New Member

I put a GM bug shield on mine and I have no issues at all.
  6. ibmoses

ibmoses New Member

Use some masking tape to find the culprit.
    Place the tape over the molding where it runs along the windshield(A pillar posts) and see if that is where the noise is coming from.

Bert
  7. jmrich22

jmrich22 New Member

wind noise

I dont know if this is the problem but I remember on some of the 99-07 trucks that the weatherstrip around the windshield would flap after installind bug deflector. Easy fix fs this is it----just get some type of black silicone some parts store have stuff just for windows. Use some masking tape just below weatherstripping and lift up the stripping and apply some silicone and thats it

Also just as somebody has said the tape works great to narrow down what is causing problems
  8. ibmoses

ibmoses New Member

Thats what mine was doing also, on the pass side. The dealer just glued it down, like you suggested.

Bert
  9. fish4funjb

fish4funjb New Member

Another member sent me a PM that had the fix that GM uses with there new Bug Shields. They include 3m weather guard tape to go under the side plastic moulding. There are a couple of Torx screws that hold the window guards down. You loosen those to be able to get under the plastic then apply the tape. I am going to try it this afternoon to see if it stops. AVS should include this in there kit, I think.
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Huh, that would be annoying, where is the noise coming from, the whole thing or is part of it hitting metal?