1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

building a motor on a budget

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by txmj83, Jan 9, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. txmj83

txmj83 New Member

I got an old tired 350 in a 79 blazer. I'm on a tightbudget.
    I need to save up for a motor rebuild. I don't want a race car motor just agood strong motor.
    It's not a daily driver just a play toy. How much do i need to save??
    Can i get away with just replacing gaskets and seals and hone out the block andthrow in some new rings??
    I'm just tired of having to add oil every time i add gas.

I know you can't give an exact I'm looking for a Ballpark amount.
    thanks for yalls help.

2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would guess it shouldn't take more than a grand. The other thing I would add to the list is is to have the block checked for cracks. For that gen motor parts are fairly cheap.
  3. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member 100 Posts

It's hard to give a number on something like that. You never know how worn the motor is until you tear it down. Cylinders may or may not need boring out, head deck may need to be resurfaced, mains may need to be alignbored, and you'll diffently want to have the heads redone. You'll only know the answer once its torn down and is inspected.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Just get a worst case estimate from a machine shop that you would be comfortable doing the work on. Another possible outlet would be a college in your area that has an good automotive engineering program (or something close), they may be able to do it for you for dirt cheap if not free. the college I went to had it and they even had 2 dyno to use so they were always looking for people to run some high HP cars through or even some that had an audi or subaru for the AWD dyno.